cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ciscoworks lms 3.2 issue

secureIT
Level 4
Level 4

I have LMS 3.2 installed in windows 2008 server with SP1. I am getting the error as authentication failed, please try again.

I tried the below and still problem persists. Tried from Ciscoworks server as well as from client machine also.

Below is the order of troubleshooting steps:

net stop crmdmgtd
NMSROOT\setup\support\resetCasuser.exe

CSCOpx/bin/resetpasswd admin

CSCOpx\bin\ResetLoginModule.pl

after this i got message as Changing mode from ACS to CMF ...

Windows firewall not enabled.

Could some one help me pls...... im in the verge of resintallation as a last hope..!!!!!!!!!

pls help

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

This is mostly not the process issue, but certainly an issue seems close to installation.

Has this install worked after install? Apart from this error, are you able to browse the LMS properly? for other features and device management, or do you still see errors on other pages?

There are two options if many errors are there :

-- Restore the old Database from a good known backup.

-- Reinitialize the Database for all the modules to start all over, even without re-installing the application. For more details on re-initializing the application, please check the following document :

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-8796

-Thanks

Vinod

-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Vinod Arya
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

After ResetLoginModule.pl you should restart the daemon manager.

Try ot stop (net stop crmdmgtd) and start (net start crmdmgtd) and wait 10 mins and try to login.

Share the screenshot and error if it doesn't works.

-Thanks

Vinod

Hi Vinod,

Yes i did restart of cw services. I have been doing this excercise for a couple of days and dont remember how many time i have restarted the services. I wonder whether i have to re-install the s/w. But before that if I can do something better and i can make it up, it would be great. Let me know if you need any other logs or you want me to do any other testing. I dont have the screen shot at the moment, but yes it is a dialog box pops up which says "Authentication was failed. Please try again", as soon as I login with username as admin. This admin username and password is resetted recently using the script "CSCOpx/bin/resetpasswd admin". The other leftout testings are, have not checked the pdshow >C:\pdshow1.txt and system reboot.

Not sure if the password is recovered correctly.

Try this manual procedure to recover password for admin :

1. Stop the Daemon Manager:

net stop crmdmgtd

Note: It can take a few minutes to stop and start the Daemon Manager. Wait until everything is completed before going on to the next step.

2. Go to the file containing the admin password:

NMSROOT\lib\classpath\com\cisco\nm\cmf\servlet\cwpass

3. Rename that file to cwpass.old OR remove it and backup to some other location.

4. Go to the original admin password file:

NMSROOT\lib\classpath\com\cisco\nm\cmf\servlet\orig\cwpass

5. Copy this file into the path specified in step 2.

6. Restart the Daemon Manager:

net start crmdmgtd

7. Relaunch CiscoWorks and enter "admin" for the username and "admin" for the password.

Please check and see if this allows you to login. 

-Thanks

Vinod

Hi Vinod,

now i am able to login.

But getting the error as

Unable to find URL. The selected View has been deleted or Friendly URL has been modified

pls let me know what shall i do now..

This is mostly not the process issue, but certainly an issue seems close to installation.

Has this install worked after install? Apart from this error, are you able to browse the LMS properly? for other features and device management, or do you still see errors on other pages?

There are two options if many errors are there :

-- Restore the old Database from a good known backup.

-- Reinitialize the Database for all the modules to start all over, even without re-installing the application. For more details on re-initializing the application, please check the following document :

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-8796

-Thanks

Vinod

Hi Vinod,

Thanks for your guidance

I have reinstalled the lms to 3.2 with service pack 1 with proper procedure today; had an old backup and restored it; now when i'm trying to login with username as "cwadmin" it gives authentication failed; then i tried the command "resetpasswd cwadmin", it ended with no such username message. hence i used the command "resetpasswd admin" and password got changed successfully; then i tried to login with admin as username and latest password, still i was getting the authentication failed message. While restoring the backup understood that lms is integrated with ACS mode.

The username "admin" is not configured in ACS server, but it was configured as "cwadmin" in ACS. Now my query is since lms is integrated in ACS mode, do i have to configure the username "admin" in ACS ?? Please let me know how to proceed. wont the local username work if im accessing the application from the server itself ??? help is needed...!!!

just adding one more point here -- while giving a valid username or wrong username/password in the portal, it takes a long time 3-4 mins and it keeps rotating and in the end it throws authentication failed error. so I suspect that it is not checking the username pwd locally and it is contacting ACS server to get it validated - pls correct me if I am wrong.

After you restored the old LMS backup, the same information about accounts and integration would have possibly migrated.

In case your ACS is not integrated properly, please follow the steps from this document precisely on what is required on LMS and ACS side :

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/cloud-systems-management/ciscoworks-lan-management-solution-3-2-earlier/prod_white_paper0900aecd80613f62.html

Please check and let me know if there is some confusion. You can use the $NMSROOT/bin/ACSTestTool.pl script to manually check if ACS integration is fine, for your server to work properly.

-Thanks

Vinod

Thanks Vinod.

Do we have to add any flags after this command - NMSROOT/bin/ACSTestTool.pl - ?

I shall update the result of this command shortly.

Secondly, in stdout log file, the Tacacs authentication fail message is there. Hope some issues with ACS integration. If this is not proper, how do I make it integrate successfully without portal login.

No Flag/syntax is required. You can simply run/invoke the command using perl.

Example :

NMSROOT/bin/perl   NMSROOT/bin/ACSTestTool.pl

*NMSROOT = Ciscoworks Install directory (like c:/program files/CSCOpx etc).

If ACS is not integrated properly, please follow the document step by step which covers it all and you can share if any step has any problems while following.

Also, i wanted to highlight, as LMS 3.2 is obsolete, why dont you prefer to upgrade to LMS 4.2 which is the latest version and has new inbuilt Role Based Access Control (RBAC) and hence doesn't depends on ACS to control Role Access to users (Authorisation).

-Thanks

Vinod

**Encourage Contributors. RATE Them**

Hi Vinod,

Please let me know is there any possibility of using the dcrcli exported device list ?? Im failed to integrate/fix it with ACS.

in order  to continue further with the available configuration, I have to do "ResetLoginModule.pl" to change from ACS to Non ACS, and the configure ACS ?

Please confirm on this.