cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ciscoworks LMS alerting

thomuff
Level 3
Level 3

We want to monitor switch ports that connect our laser printers and send an alert to our e-mail when that port goes down/down status. We do not want alerts for all ports on the switch. Is that possible? If so, how hard is it and how do you do it? We are receiving alerts on err-disabled ports today?

12 Replies 12

craig5571
Level 1
Level 1

hey,

How did you set it up to notify you if a port goes into err-disabled mode? I would like to do that where I am.

thanks

I can post the details on Monday.

Tom

Resource Management Essentials

Administration

Syslog Analysis

Define Automated Action

Add PM-*-4-ERR-DISABLE as Action Message.

Enable Action

Action Name can be whatever you want.

In command line we have : C:\.\Program Files\febooti Command line email\febootimail.exe -SMTP acmeexch01 -FROM LMSAleter@acme.com -TO LMSAlerts@acme.com -MSG $

Check out www.febooti.com for febooti mail client

in your message, you have -MSG $, what is the "$" for? is that a special command , or just your message text?

and I assume acmeexch01 is your exchange server

hey, thanks so much for the help, but I'm a little bit unclear on this..

are you running lms 2.5? (I am win2ksp4)

I goto,

RME,tools,syslog,automated actions, create, make sure the check is in the all managed interfaces box, click next, name it Err disable Notification, click add, a box comes up "define new message type". it has 5 lines that are as follows

facility

sub-facility

severity

mnemonic

description

what did you put in the above 5 lines? currently there are one asterisk. in each of the five lines by default.

and thats as far as I have gotten..

thanks

We are running 2.2

Facility PM

Subfacility *

severity 4

mnemonic ERR_DISABLE

Pattern *

I am not sure about the $ I think it marks the end. but I will check

$M

The entire message is passed to the script

$D

The device name is passed to the script

I forgot to highlight the M

It is shown under the Help button on that page.

I'm trying to do something similar, but instead of sending an alert email, i want to send a SMS. Other than a GSM modem, software wise what else do i need ?

Regards.

cklomp
Level 1
Level 1

Tom,

I'm not aware of any way, in general, you can set traps per port. You need to manage on the receiving end (on your management station).

I've setup a filter on our syslog server, to alert for specific ports.

Depending on the amount of printers you're requiring to manage, I quess you would want to do some scripting for filtering the printer ports...

HTH, Chris.

I think we are going our network monitoring software to monitor the up/down of the ports (We are using Nagios)Also, we are looking at the new HP print servers that have support 802.1x authentication. Nagios can be configured to monitor certain switch ports and for email alerting. Thank you all for your input.

Were you able to get the err-disabled configured on your LMS server.