Views
Helpful
Replies

CiscoWorks LMS CommuityString Problem

m-abooali
Level 4
Level 4

hi,

I have installed CiscoWorks on a Windows2000 server, it went all smooth but I cannot import and add devices. I tried to use the script CVS file it sees the device but cannot import it,. The issue is that , when I try to test, Telnet test comes back OK but TCP test fails! I beleive if one can telnet that is the indication of having a TCP connection sonce Telent sits on top of the TCP. SNMP fails too.

What should SNMP Community String must be on routers and swithecs that I want to import? should they be same all accross or different from device to dvice.

Can someone please shed a light on this problem?

Thanks,

Masood

16 Replies 16

cwfun
Level 1
Level 1

You can use the same community strings read-only and read-write community on all your devices. If you do csv import in the DCR you have a lot of work if you use different communitystrings on all devices.

I prefer campusmanager discovery with sees devices, a specified community string in a new installation and after this a device credentials update to add vty an enable passwords.

Check the format of your file. Do a export to csv to see what's really imported in you DCR. Also use the check device credentials when you are readdy

Thanks for responding. I have recently taken over this network and there are a lot ogf things that have to be done. I sort of knew that the real-only community string is a problem and checked to see if all are the same and they weren't. I created a CVS file and imported a Cisco Router 2621 into the CiscoWorks but after import ididn't see anything! I am attaching my file to see if you can please help me withthe format. I am sort of new to CiscoWOrks itself but not to Cisco routers and switches as Ihave always worked for the provider's backbone and this is my first enterprized LAN/WAN position.

Please see the atachment in .txt format. I have taken off the password and the community strings.

Masood

Masood, try going to RME -> Admin -> Inventory -> Export to File

Select Comma Separated Value

Version 1

That will create a file with the proper format for you

You may then edit it and try the import

Thanks. I will do that and then try to edit and import. One more question., I have made all the Community strings i.e. Public RO the same across my routers and CAT 4006, CAT 3550 switches, and was wondwring if this will help setting up Ciscoworks and start building up the inventory?

How about the Campus Manaer, discovery, would thishelp in importing the devices?

Thanks,

Masood

yes, it is a good idea to have the community strings the same across the board (of course, not public and private though!)

if Campus Manager has discovered the devices, then you may go to Server Config -> Setup -> ANI Server Admin -> Device Synch to send them to RME

Hi and thanks for responding. one thing? if not the RO i.e the public community string then which one must be the same all accress the board? we have RO, RW, and RO-RW-ALL, so please let me now. Ihave made the RO public the same accross my routers and switches!!??

Thx,

Masood

Yes, it would be a good idea to have the RO string the same across your devices. However, you should pick one that is different than public.

Use something like Maso0d for example.

No one should have community strings of public and private.

Ohh, I got it know, I guess you meant: don't name the Public RO "Public" or the RW "Private" instead have the snmp-sever Maso0d RO

and

snmp-server maso0d RW

is this correct?

Thanks,

Masood

yes, correct

Hi,

Wel I created the file using the export and then editting the file to imprt devices, I have successfully imported three devices, two routers and one CAT400 switch.

I am having a new problem, when I access Ciscoworks from my workstation (CiscoWorks on the server), Cisco View disapears and I get kicked out ofCiscoworks. It seem ato be a Jva Run Time version problem to me. Any idea of what versin of Java I must be running on the workstation for that. I was using the browser to access Ciscoworks.

I am using this work station to access Ciscowrks server for VMS monitoring Firwalls and VPNs and it runs well with JAva Runtime Environment SE v1.4.1_02 which is installed onmy workstation.

When trying to access CiscoView, it trys to install a Java run time version: Standard EDition V1.3.1, if I say yes to the install it installs it but still cannot access CiscoView.

Thanks,

Masood

Do you recall the version of Resource Manager that you installed as part of CiscoWorks?

If it is RME 3.5, then you will have to install RME 3.5 IDU 5.0 , Campus Manager 3.3 IDU 5.0, DFM 1.2.10 and then LSM 2.2 / 1.3 Update 1

That will allow you to use Java Plug-in 1.4.1_02

Downloads are available at:

http://www.cisco.com/kobayashi/sw-center/cw2000/lan-planner.shtml

Hi,

I have used:

Resource Manager Essentials 3.5

Device Fault Manager 1.2

Common Services 2.2

Campus Manager 3.3

nGenius 1.4

Please note that, these were installed by consulktants but theyhad left beofre completting the job. Now I have taken over as an employee and I neeed to gethtis fixed. I was able to import 2 Routers and two switches successfully but campus manager and Cisco View doen't work, and I beleive it mustbe a Java thing.

Masood

CiscoView may need updated Device Support packages to recognize the [newer type] devices. CM, like RME, may need latest IDU.

It seems to me that you are doing this the difficult way. If you have CDP enabled on your devices it is much much easier to use Campus Manager's discovery system as it will automatically get the details on your devices and add them to the system.

At any rate, make sure you have all of the latest patches/IDUs installed for Ciscoworks as that will make sure you have the latest device support and patches.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: