cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ciscoworks lms3.2 continuous multicast to 239.255.2.3; is this necessary?

abuswell
Level 1
Level 1

I was curious about what kind (and how much) network traffic LMS3.2 generates on a continuous basis, and found that it continually sends out multicasts to 239.255.2.3.  In trying to dig up information regarding that multicast, it appears to have something to do with Microsoft Clustered Servers...... do i have something configured in CM, RME, DFM, IPM or HUM that is causing this?  On the surface, it just doesnt seem necessary to me.  I monitor only various cisco routers and switches......  I dont want to collect anything about any other type of machine on the network.

thanks for your responses,

1 Reply 1

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Actually, this traffic is part of the Apache ActiveMQ framework in LMS, and is there for inter-process communication, and not network discovery or device management.  There are steps you can do to disable this, but it would be better to open a TAC Service request to do it as it involves modifying an XML file.  If the file becomes corrupted, it can cause LMS processes to crash.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: