Views
Helpful
Replies

CiscoWorks-upgrade from 4.3.0 -4.3.1 freeze on "Checking locked files"

raza555
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I am upgrading from RME 4.3.0 to RME 4.3.1 and installation freeze on saying "Checking locked file" and it remains there for hours.

I have then reboot the server and now when I login to CiscoWorks GUI, RME is not fully functional.

Please help me in it, or atleast get me back to original position.

Thanks. Urgent help required.

I am using LMS 3.2.0; RME 4.3.0

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi ,

First of all take a new Backup .

Go to common service >Server >admin >Backup

Once Backup is completed sucessfully.

then you can Either Uninstalled the RME 4.3 fisrt and then Re-Installed it

or you can try to Installed RME 4.3.1 once again with the below prerequists:

• Set the per-user and global TEMP and TMP environment variables to short values (e.g. C:\WINDOWS\TEMP)
  • Disable all anti-virus software *
  • Disable Windows Data Execution Protection (DEP) *
  • Login to the server as a local Adminitrator

I would suggets you to try Installing the RME 4.3.1 again..

for more information you can check the below doc written by joseph Clarke:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-9132

I hope this will help

Afroj

Thanks- Afroz [Do rate the useful post] ****Ratings Encourages Contributors ****

View solution in original post

Hi,

•      Have the TEMP and TMP variables set with a short length. It is required because the normal default variables sometimes exceeds 32bit character length and have the installed hampered which uses command prompt at the background to invoke various tasks (they should be made sort such as C:\WINDOWS\TEMP and C:\WINDOWS\TMP):

I have attached a screenshot for the same .

I hope this will help..

Thanks

Afroj

Thanks- Afroz [Do rate the useful post] ****Ratings Encourages Contributors ****

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

AFROJ AHMAD
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

It  looks like something went wrong during the upgarde of RME from 4.3 to 4.3.1.

If you have a Good Known Back up of the ciscoworks then try to Restore the backup to get back to the Point where you were before :

NMSROOT\bin\perl NMSROOT\bin\restorebackup.pl -d BKP [-t  temporary_directory]

where BKP is the backup directory.

You must enter the absolute path for BKP. For example, if BKP is under C:\, enter the path as NMSROOT\bin\perl NMSROOT\bin\restorebackup.pl -d C:\BKP.

For E.g :

C:\Progra~1\CSCOpx\bin>perl C:\Progra~1\CSCOpx\bin\restorebackup.pl -d
C:\backup -gen 0

you can check the below link for syntax:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_lan_management_solution/3.2/data_migration/guide/dmg_win.html#wp1152588

I hope this will help

Thanks

Afroj

Thanks for backup procedure,but I don't want to start it now.From GUI I can see all rme devices but icons to view configuration are missing.please advise that how I can recover to either initial RME 4.3.0 or RME 4.3.1.

There must be a way to recover from situation as by reading old conversation in this forum about installation freezing at "Checking locked files..." people have advised with different procedure.

Please advise me the latest procedure to recover.

THANKS

Hi ,

First of all take a new Backup .

Go to common service >Server >admin >Backup

Once Backup is completed sucessfully.

then you can Either Uninstalled the RME 4.3 fisrt and then Re-Installed it

or you can try to Installed RME 4.3.1 once again with the below prerequists:

• Set the per-user and global TEMP and TMP environment variables to short values (e.g. C:\WINDOWS\TEMP)
  • Disable all anti-virus software *
  • Disable Windows Data Execution Protection (DEP) *
  • Login to the server as a local Adminitrator

I would suggets you to try Installing the RME 4.3.1 again..

for more information you can check the below doc written by joseph Clarke:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-9132

I hope this will help

Afroj

Thanks alot for the above sugestions to recover the RME 4.3.1. Very last and important thing to ask is that I need further explaination for your below advise

"Set the per-user and global TEMP and TMP environment variables to short values (e.g. C:\WINDOWS\TEMP)"

Please explain it bit more that whats the location of the TEMP and TMP environment variables e.g. Inn  my C: drive I have files names as TEMP, TMP, WINDOWS etc , please advise me that do I have to do some changes with them.

If you explain these variables then i can try advise.

THANKS

Hi,

•      Have the TEMP and TMP variables set with a short length. It is required because the normal default variables sometimes exceeds 32bit character length and have the installed hampered which uses command prompt at the background to invoke various tasks (they should be made sort such as C:\WINDOWS\TEMP and C:\WINDOWS\TMP):

I have attached a screenshot for the same .

I hope this will help..

Thanks

Afroj

Thanks Afroj Ahmad,

Thats the great help and I have followed your given procedure and SUCCESSFULY upgraded to RME 4.3.1. Although during installation I remained on the screen showing message "Checking locked files..." for 1 hour, but I did'nt stop the process and it does work 100%.

I am heartly THANKFUL to you for such a detailed help.

I had some problems with this upgrade. I followed all instructions but the files in  \CSCOpx\objects\smarts\lib\ kept locked.  Then I use the free utility OpenedFilesView to release them and the installation was successfully. My server is a Windows Server 2003 SP2 and Mcafee Viruscan Entrerprise 8.7.0.i.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: