cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ciscoworks visibility of all VLANs

nick.smith
Level 1
Level 1

I require my CW server to have visibility of at least 3 VLANS on my network. Without the option of a dual NIC server I have tried unsuccessfully to configure my server switchport as a trunk port. My server NIC supports 802.1q trunking but still no joy. What other options do I have?

5 Replies 5

steve.busby
Level 5
Level 5

CW2K doesn't need an interface into each VLAN to access the VLAN. Since you should have a router to communicate between the VLANs, putting CW2K on one of those VLANs should allow communication between the VLANs.

If this isn't the problem, or I've totally misstated what you want to do, please provide more information on how your topology is set-up.

HTH

Steve

Thanks for replying Steve - should have made it a bit more clearer.

The problem lies with IPM as I cannot reach source or target IP's unless the IPM server is sitting in the same VLAN as these devices. I have 3 VLANS in use on my network with 2 used for netman and the other for the user environment (desktops & servers). My server needs to gain access to switches/routers in my netman vlan and servers sitting in the user vlan. This cannot be achieved so far without a dual NIC CW IPM server. I have tried without luck so far to configure my server switchport for trunking.

What other options do I have?

Thanks.

I think Steve is on the right track. Inter-VLAN communication is normally handled via layer 3 routing process. Do you have a policy against routing between your management and user VLANs? If you do, you could turn on the routing and lock it down to only the management host with an ACL.

The problem with using 802.1q trunking is that the application (CiscoWorks) is likely not aware of how to address the VLANs accessible to the NIC. CW is talking to target systems using IP (layer 3) addressing, not directly via MAC address (layer 2, e.g., VLAN).

Yes - strict policy on my customer site with contractors as they do not like us having access to user data.

My requirement is for my IPM server to gain visibility of user and netman vlans. I require all my customer servers to be IP targets and my switches/routers to be source devices. This cannot be achieved so far without the use of a dual NIC server with an IP configured on each NIC for the 2 VLANs I want access to. No routing between VLANs allowed on my layer 3 devices but have the authority to config my server switchport for trunking - this is the problem I am having - it does not accept trunk mode. What would be the recommended config on this switchport and the server NIC?

Have you considered the potential NIC trunking complatibility factors outlined in: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a00800a7af0.shtml ?

And did I understand your initial post corrctly that a dual NIC server is not an option? If it is an option, you can put static routes on the server NICs to achive network connectivity without routing.