Views
Helpful
Replies

Client (endpoint) IP address table in PI 3.0

Bob Goal
Level 1
Level 1

Hi community!

Scenario: I've got L2 network of Catalyst switches. Clients are connected to those L2 switches. My L3 device responsible for routing is ASA-SM (it is default gw for clients). Network devices are managed by PI 3.0.

Issue: 

Monitor / Monitoring Tools / Clients and Users  I'm not able to see client IP addresses, MAC addresses are visible. Correct me if I am wrong: PI correlates mac addresses from a switch port with arp table from a default gateway to create this table in PI Web interface? Because in my case ASA-SM is a default GW, PI is not able to make this mapping?

3 Replies 3

Bob Goal
Level 1
Level 1

Anybody? Maybe I ask differently - How does PI build Monitor / Monitoring Tools / Clients and Users table? How is PI joining mac and ip addresses of clients?

You have correctly described the procedure how CPI operates. The issue is in a lack of support, CPI does not know how to obtain arp entries from a firewall. This is going on for ages now,  and as far as I recall, info is not available via SNMP, and nobody seems to push asa BU to make it happen.

Suncell,

thank you for the answer. That is what I have expected. Is there any other way for PI to obtain these IPs? Any feature on L2 Catalyst switched like IP device tracking, etc?