cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CLM VS GNS3

Faith2009
Level 1
Level 1

Which is better and is CLM like packet tracer? 

2 Replies 2

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

The important distinction between PacketTracer and GNS3, CML2 and EVE-NG is that PT is a simulator and the others are emulators. The latter group emulate the hardware and run complete software images therefore giving a more representative environment. PT can sometime exhibit some odd behavior which can only be put down to the fact it is a simulator.

Although installing and using PT is the easiest, I would recommended you spend your time setting up an emulator. CML2 is the only one which costs any money, but it does come with a set of platform software images to use. GNS3 and EVE-NG require you to hunt around the internet to find the software.

Personally I would recommend EVE-NG.

cheers,

Seb.

Martin L
VIP
VIP

What do you study for?  I would start with Packet tracer especially at CCNA level before moving to CML, GNS3, Eve.  If you study for CCNP/CCIE, then PT is not good and You must use others.  Which one to use depends on your resources.  They are free ( you can use CML over the DevNet Sandbox free access).  GNS3 and Eve require you provide images which you may not have access to.  Even if you do, I am not clear on legality of using those images in emulators like GNS3 and Eve.   

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **