cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CNR 6.0.5 to 6.1.2.3 migration

jwmiller
Level 1
Level 1

Currently on 6.0.5 Windows 2000 and want to get to 6.1.2.3 on Windows 2003. Would like to start with a clean OS. My thought was to install CNR 6.0.5 on a fresh OS, import data from old server, and then do the upgrade to 6.1.2.3. The question I have is in regards to exporting from the old server and importing into the new. Any ideas on the preferred method for doing this. The docs mention cnr_exim and mcdshadow, but aren't clear how to be sure ALL (config and DNS/DHCP) data would be migrated.

4 Replies 4

thomas.chen
Level 6
Level 6

You could very well use the cnr_exim and mcdshadow to migrate your data from the old server to the new server. This is the best method to perform an migration to the new version of CNR.

Thanks for your response. The trouble I'm really having is that the CNR User's Guide isn't clear about just what each of the utilities mentioned actually do. I need to know the answer in order to ensure that I've migrated ALL the data used by CNR -- configuration data for the CNR server process as well as the actual DNS/DHCP data, including leases, etc. After reading the section "Backing up the Network Registrar Databases" from the user's guide, it's still unclear.

jwmiller
Level 1
Level 1

I opened a TAC case -- their response follows:

What you will need to do is the following:

- On old platform STOP the aicservagt

- Recursively copy the \program files\network registrar\data directories (assuming the default location) to the new server in the SAME location.

- Then install 6.1.2.x on the New server. The install will see the old directory and will prompt if you want to upgrade it.

I recommend that the new server use the IP address of the old box so there will not be a need to modify any records. If you do not, then you will have to modify EACH zone to reflect the new origin, NS, and A records. For DHCP, you will also have to modify any reference to old IP. This will include DDNS servers and possibly policies.

The TAC suggestion worked great. The 6.1.2.3 install on a new copy of Windows 2003 Server recognized the data directory and prompted for a conversion. Thanks.