Views
Helpful
Replies

command for OSPF overload in Cisco

Mukesh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi 

I am looking for OPSF overload command to increase cost of OSPF for the whole Cisco router similar to OSPF overload command for juniper. 

9 Replies 9

Hi @Mukesh  

I believe for Cisco world the procedure is a bit different. We know we can use the shutdown command on the OSPF but it will cause more changes than sometimes we want.

As per your question you might be preparing for some maintenance and want to control the traffic for a specific device or area, right.

The closest I have found from the overload on Juniper is explained on this article. But the dude does not mention the IOS and it seems to be in IOS-XR.

https://devangnp.github.io/blog/overload-bit-isis-ospf/

thank you

increase the cost, cost is depend on BW 
OSPF Cost - OSPF Routing Protocol Metric Explained - Study CCNA (study-ccna.com)

auto cost reference bandwidth 

thank you :), so looks like Cisco doesn't have that similar command. I will just have to increase cost individually. 

Yes, either increase the cost or use the way the cost is calculated.
the cost is BW of link divide by reference BW if we change the reference BW as change the Cost 

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Might only be found in v3, but possibly:

max-metric router-lsa

Adjusting, as already mentioned, auto reference cost (to its max value) is likely the best global alternative but, of course, it won't impact/override manually set interface costs.

I test @Joseph W. Doherty max-metric router-las (you can tune which LSA you want to increase it metric)
and it work and this method from my view is better than auto-cost it effect both way and need to config in only one router 
 have a nice summer 
thanks

Screenshot (1008).pngScreenshot (1009).png

Mukesh
Level 1
Level 1

thanks a lot all

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card