cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Comparing vlan.dat and interface vlans

brentsm2
Level 1
Level 1

I have a customer whose 6500's reboot sometimes. When they do, they create interface vlans 1-700 even though most of them should exist.  I was wondering if this is possible:

1.  Monitor for a "software forced reboot" in syslog (I got this part)

2.  Action to compare the interface vlans in a show ip interface brief to the vlan.dat file

3.  Action to delete the interface vlans where they don't appear in the vlan.dat file

It isn't a really big deal for this customer.  However, they do currently have to manually remove all of the erroneously created interface vlans.  The ones that shouldn't exist are all in a "down/down" state. So, I know they don't exist in the vlan.dat file.  This problem also causes a significant spike in their syslog server and monitoring software because it begins monitoring all these interface vlans.

Whatever help you can provide, if this is even possible, i'd appreciate it.

Brent

1 Reply 1

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The vlan.dat is opaque binary data.  You cannot inspect it.  You can, however, remove VLANs based on their state.  I just don't have a clear enough picture of what they're doing manually to clean up these switches.  Can you provide the manual steps?