cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Confused- vlan port forward/Audio Visual security question

Bagley5777
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all!  I'm confused about a situation- at work we have audio visual devices that we use for streaming media from computers and collaborative displays (such as Via Collage or Barco Clickshares, etc).  We would like to secure these so they are away from our data vlan. 

Here is the question- the AV director wants to port forward all these devices so they can be reached by the data network.  I thought that port forwarding was a function of reaching an internal device through the OUTSIDE of a network with a firewall by redirecting communication requests.  I didn't know you could "port forward" from vlan to vlan- can you?  Would you want to?  I thought this would be accomplished by intervlan routing, not "port forwarding with vlans."  THANKS!

2 Replies 2

Hi @Bagley5777

You are not alone. I also ignore this usage for port forward.

What I suppose this could be ip forward protocol which objective is  route broadcast to another device.

Audio is usually handled by multicast traffic.

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

Thanks for your response!  I've never heard of port forwarding from vlan to vlan on an internal network, either.  It will be interesting to see if someone has a concrete idea with this.