cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Confusion about how to set up Option 150

JWHolm81891
Level 1
Level 1

So, I'm the new network guy at our employer and I've walked in on a VoIP project that has been going on for almost 2 years (people keep quitting) and the vendor is getting stressed with us, naturally. I have configured ports for VoIP, but I have never done a full blown rollout for new phones. The vendor asked me to get Option 150 set up on our end and I'll be honest, I had to look that up. Now I understand what Option 150 is, I'm having a terrible time finding straight out documentation or even just a video explaining where I need to configure at. From what I'm thinking, I'm thinking I need to configure it on our tftp-server, but then do I need to configure per VLAN and on every switch in our network too? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@JWHolm81891 wrote:
I'm thinking I need to configure it on our tftp-server, but then do I need to configure per VLAN and on every switch in our network too? 

No, that is wrong. 

Option 150 is a DHCP option.  DHCP Option 150 instructs the clients "what is the IP address of my TFTP server".  That is it.  

DHCP Option 150, can only be configured in the DHCP server.  

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

where is your DHCP Server running ? on Router or Microsoft DHCP Server :

if MS DHCP follow :

https://4sysops.com/archives/defining-dhcp-option-150-for-cisco-ip-phones/

If the DHCP was configured per VLAN, yes you need to configure per vlan IP address for this option 150 so Phone get to TFTP Server.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@JWHolm81891 wrote:
I'm thinking I need to configure it on our tftp-server, but then do I need to configure per VLAN and on every switch in our network too? 

No, that is wrong. 

Option 150 is a DHCP option.  DHCP Option 150 instructs the clients "what is the IP address of my TFTP server".  That is it.  

DHCP Option 150, can only be configured in the DHCP server.  

Good to know. Saves me a lot of headache. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: