Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connection direct through 3560..

Hi.

Apologies and I am sure this is straigth forward stuff for you guys.

I recentely had a fibre line installed and it is routed through a Cisco 3560 - 12 port switch

The fibre connection is completed to the switch but i am at a loss with regard to connecting a pc directly to the switch to test the connection.The ISP installer says I do not have access to manage the device otherwise it is live. My intention is to conect the swith to our firewall in the long term but for the moment I'd like to chech the fibre quality (and know a bit more) Can anyone advise on how i could complete this?

I have the ip's, subnet and gateway information from the ISP but am awaiting further information/documentation

I'd appreciate some advice.

I have plugged into one of the ethernet ports but obviously dhcp is not enabled so I'd like some advice.

Cheers

Chris

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Chris

Thanks for the additional information. Just to be sure I am understanding correctly, the ISP gave you a /29 subnet, and one of the addresses in that subnet is the gateway address. In that case you should certainly be able to connect a PC to one of the switch ports, and to configure that PC with one of the other addresses in the /29 and that should allow the PC access to the Internet and enable you to do the testing that you want to do.

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Chris

It would help us if you could tell us about the subnet, mask, and gateway given to you by the ISP. Not necessarily the specific addresses if you regard that as sensitive information which should be protected. But at least it is a subnet in the A/B/C range with a mask of ...

I am particularly interested in whether the mask is (probably) /30 or is something else.

It would also be helpful if you could tell us whether the ISP indicated that the connection should use DHCP or should be hard coded. (the fact that they gave you subnet, mask and gateway suggests that it is not DHCP but it would be nice to know)

If there is a switch but you do not have access to manage it then we should be safe in assuming that all ports are in the same vlan which connects to the fiber and that any port you plug a device into should work. So assuming that the PC you want to test with will be hard coded for address, mask, and gateway we need to figure out what address to use. If what the ISP gave you is a /30 then there are only 2 usable addresses, and one of them is the gateway. So what is the available address in that subnet? Configure the PC with that address, use the mask and gateway as supplied by the ISP and you should be ready to test.

HTH

Rick

Richard,

Thanks for your reply

the subnet mask provided is /29

So are you suggesting that I can use configure the LAN connection with any
of those within the range and make a direct connection.

Thanks Again,

Chris

Chris

Thanks for the additional information. Just to be sure I am understanding correctly, the ISP gave you a /29 subnet, and one of the addresses in that subnet is the gateway address. In that case you should certainly be able to connect a PC to one of the switch ports, and to configure that PC with one of the other addresses in the /29 and that should allow the PC access to the Internet and enable you to do the testing that you want to do.

HTH

Rick

Chris

I am glad that my suggestion was helpful.  Thank you for marking this question as solved. This will help other participants in the community to identify discussions which have helpful information. This community is an excellent place to ask questions and to learn about networking. I hope to see you continue to be active in the community.

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: