Views
Helpful
Replies

CPU HOG task

John Horvat
Level 1
Level 1

Have 2 tasks running that are generating log messages:

%SYS-3-CPUHOG: Task is running for (2097)msecs, more than (2000)msecs (0/0),process = flash monitor process

%SYS-3-CPUHOG: Task is running for (2097)msecs, more than (2000)msecs (8/7),process = SD Flash Init

CPU utilization for five seconds: 82%/0%; one minute: 33%; five minutes: 30%
PID  Runtime(ms)   Invoked    uSecs     5Sec       1Min        5Min        TTY    Process
70   155801033   1227181   126963   62.87%   23.63%    21.26%    0       flash monitor pr
56   4907291       27432       178889   13.11%   1.19%      0.49%      0       SD Flash Init

According to my research it is an issue with the sdflash; of note the sdflash is no longer inserted in the switch yet the tasks keep running. My question is what effect on the switch would it have if I killed those 2 tasks?

8 Replies 8

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- What platform and or device model are you experiencing this problem on ?
 M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Hello,

as far as I recall, these CPUHOG messages are usually caused by IOS software bugs. Which version are you running ? Also, did you reboot the switch after removing the SD card ?

John Horvat
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco IE-2000-8TC running firmware 15.2(4)EA5. 

Did not reboot the switch as they are in a production environment that runs 24/7.

- Consider upgrading to https://software.cisco.com/download/home/284892486/type/280805680/release/15.2.7E2 , when an opportunity becomes available , 

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Still does not answer my question, what impact would it have on the switch if I killed the processes while the switch is running.

Hello,

I guess both rebooting and/or upgrading the IOS would require an outage. Do these messages impact your network ? If not, and if you just want to get rid of seeing those logs, you could configure a logging discriminator:

logging discriminator DROPS msg-body drops Task is running for
logging buffered discriminator DROPS
logging console discriminator DROPS
logging monitor discriminator DROPS

What impact would it have on the switch if I killed the processes while the switch is running.

Hello,

I don't think you will get a definitive answer for that, as the only way to provide that answer would be to have an exact replica of your switch, with all the processes running, and then testing the 'clear socket' command for both processes. I guess it is one of those cases where you just have to try it out (after hours preferably) and see what happens. My best guess is: there will be no impact at all.