Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Creating Management Network

Hi,

I would like to create management network in my environment, currently we have 3750 and act as layer 2 for other vlans(DMZ,Internal), can i create new manemennt vlan that only act as layer 3 ( enable ip routing) or if i enable ip routing  will it affect all other vlan's also?

Please advise, if yes what would be the configuration we need to have in cisco 3750.

thanks

1 Reply 1

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you don't create any Layer 3 interface (Switch Virtual Interface or SVI) in your existing VLANs, they will not be affected by enabling IP routing.

So create your new_vlan in conf mode, vlan. That gives you a layer 2 vlan. Then go into conf mode, interface and create "interface vlan new_vlan" with IP address etc. You now have a SVI in the VLAN and it should be up/up.

Of course IP routing doesn't have any real function until you have at least two routed interfaces since routing is fundamentally about going from one network to another.

Hope this helps. Please rate helpful posts.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: