Views
Helpful
Replies

Creating Switch Network

Wykes
Level 1
Level 1

Hey everybody,

I am very new to the networking and how it works. I am an Electronics Engineering Technology Major and this kind of topic is not discussed in our degree. I hope I can find some help. I have read over many manuals and implemented Cisco labs as well as spent much time googling trying to figure out how to do what I am trying to accomplish. 

So I have two Cisco 2950 switches. I am working with Siemens Simatic 505 PLC’s that are communicating through the 505-CP1434TF H1 module. Before implementing any of the following I had both PLC’s connected directly through each other’s H1 modules and they were communicating without any issues. 

I started out by setting up one switch. From factory defaults I created Vlan 99 and gave it all of the ports using the interface range fa0/1 - 24 command and assigned it an IP address of 080.006.011.1 and subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. I also gave it a default gateway of 080.006.011.1. My two PLC’s both are configured with IP addresses that are within the IP address that I assigned to the switch. Once I got the switch configured I plugged in my PLC’s and they worked flawlessly. 

On my second 2950 switch I implemented the same exact configuration as switch 1 except making its IP address 080.006.011.2. It has the same subnet mask and default gateway as switch one, it is also configured using vlan 99 for the ports. I tested the second switch by plugging both of the PLC’s into it and it also worked flawlessly. 

I began running into trouble whenever I started trying to have only on PLC per switch with the switches hooked together through port 24. So PLC A was plugged into switch 1 on port 1 and PLC B was plugged into switch 2 on port 1 and the two switches were linked together through port 24. Simply doing this without changing any of the configurations did not allow my PLC’s to communicate to each other. 

I have read a lot about putting the port into trunk mode in order to get two switches to communicate to each other so I tried changing port 24 on both switches to trunk mode and still did not see communication. 

Is there something that I am missing? Is there an easier way to implement something like this? My end goal is to be able to have a few more PLC’s per switch all communicating to each other as well as a PCS station, it is a type of operator station that Siemens created for their line of PLC’s. I would also like to get to the point where I can sit at a computer and remote into the PCS station. 

Anyways if anyone could maybe give me some guidance that may be more in laymen’s terms I would greatly appreciate it. Or even point to me a manual or lab that would create a similar setup. I used the Cisco 2.5.1 lab to create the configurations on the switches as well as attempting to understand the 3.5.1 lab. 

Thank you for all your help. 

Chase

2 Replies 2

johnd2310
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

What is the configuration of both switches? Post "show run" from both switches.

As a start you should configure the following on both switches:

vtp mode transparent

vlan 99

name PLC

interface range fa0/1 - 24

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 99

Once you have configured both switches, connect then via port fa0/24. You should be able to connect the PLC to the switches and they should communicate.

Thanks

John

**Please rate posts you find helpful**

Hey John,

Thank you for your reply. My computer that I am implementing all of this on is currently at work. Attached in the doc is the steps I followed to get the PLC’s talking to each other when connected on the same switch. I did not use the enable secret class command though. I will list below all addresses for both switches and for the PLC’s.

Switch one addresses
IP Address for Vlan 99 is 080.006.011.1
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Default gateway 080.006.011.1

Switch two address
IP address for Vlan 99 is 080.006.011.2
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Default gateway 080.006.011.1

PLC A
IP address 080.006.011.251

PLC B
IP address 080.006.011.252

If this isn’t enough info I will reply with the show running configuration code tomorrow morning. Is okay that the default gateway on switch one is the same as the IP address? The default gateway addresses should match per switch though correct? Thank you for all your help.