cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CW2k without snmp rw ?

Martin Ermel
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Has anybody hints how you could use the complete applications of CW2k LMS without having SNMP rw configured?

I have bookmarked a thread in this forum concerning this issue which was on 24 May 2004. Steve Busby has given some notes on this but the thread seems to be removed from the forum.

Does anybody work with this constellation?

MArtin

A

3 Replies 3

jason.aarons
Level 1
Level 1

Without snmp read-write the Cw2k applications provide limited value. You need to encourage the use of read-write strings.

steve.busby
Level 5
Level 5

Martin,

We don't allow SNMP RW on our border/external equipment. So yes, we are limited in what we can do with CW2K LMS & RWAN. But I've found most of those limitations are just config and ACLM changes. You should still be able to back up the configs and *maybe* upgrade the IOS. Of course we prefer to keep CW2K out of our border equipment as much as possible to negate anything "magically" going wrong.

Was there anything specific you were looking to accomplish?

no, i am not looking for anything specific, i just have a customer who do not want to enable snmw rw until he really is dependent on it. So I never tested all the limitations of LMS if snmp rw is not enabled and just wanted to know if anybody works with LMS but without snmp rw and what you can / cannot do.

As I think config mgmt is a central point of LMS, I will propose to him to enable snmp rw and to secure it with ACLs.

thanks,

Martin