cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Data Migration issue 3.2 to 4.2.3 backup won't restore

twilcox
Level 1
Level 1

I'm running into this message when attempting to restore a 3.2 backup into 4.2.3

C:\Program Files (x86)\CSCOpx\bin>C:\PROGRA~2\CSCOpx\bin\perl C:\PROGRA~2\CSCOpx
\bin\restorebackup.pl -d c:\backup -gen 0
********************************************************************************

Restore started at : 2013/03/22 15:25:12
Please see 'C:\PROGRA~2\CSCOpx\log\restorebackup.log' for status.

USER ID is ..................................... : twilcox-a
     OS of the backup archive is..................... : Windows

ERROR: This backup archive version is not supported
       This restore program will support only backup archives from
       CS4.1 or above

Restore failed. Previous system data may be lost due to failed restore. To avoid
this, perform a successful restore.

The question is ... is there any way besides upgrading the 3.2 system to 4.0 and then 4.1 to simply get the netconfig jobs off of the 3.2 system and into the 4.2.3 system? 

Netconfig jobs are all that matter at this point.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The netconfig jobs should restore onto an LMS 4.2 installation. The 4.2 Installing and Migrating Guide indicates that LMS 3.2 SP1 backups can be restored, specifically including netconfig jobs.

You may be getting issues due to the fact that you have updated it all the way to the latest 4.2.3. I say this because the error message says you need a CS (Common Services) 4.1 or above backup. The CS version included with LMS 3.2 SP1 is 3.3.1.

Since it's a new install, can you rebuild with the base 4.2 and give it a try? That should work (and if it doesn't the TAC should support the problem since it's explicitly a supported migration path).

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The netconfig jobs should restore onto an LMS 4.2 installation. The 4.2 Installing and Migrating Guide indicates that LMS 3.2 SP1 backups can be restored, specifically including netconfig jobs.

You may be getting issues due to the fact that you have updated it all the way to the latest 4.2.3. I say this because the error message says you need a CS (Common Services) 4.1 or above backup. The CS version included with LMS 3.2 SP1 is 3.3.1.

Since it's a new install, can you rebuild with the base 4.2 and give it a try? That should work (and if it doesn't the TAC should support the problem since it's explicitly a supported migration path).

twilcox
Level 1
Level 1

Marvin,

Kudos once again. I was able to get another VM gen'd up and was able to take that same backup and restore it into 4.2.  So this saved us a LOT of time / effort because of all the netconfig jobs we had created.  So now it's on to the incremental updates again which I'm familar with.  Can't thank you enough for your help!  I read this migration plan but then went back to re-read it late on Friday p.m. with just a glimmer of hope left.  When I checked out the doc file you listed it does have 4.2 (base) on the 3.2 SP1 list and indeed it does work!  It so strange that the other versons above 4.2 won't work but I guess it makes sense in the way you explained related to CS files.

Excellent - glad to help and better yet to know it was effective advice.

I believe there were some database schema changes in the 4.2.x updates that broke the comaptibility with the earlier releases of Common Services.