Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

installation information:

-dcnm 6.2.1

-windows 32-bits

-device:nexus 5k

question

dcnm lan client cannot find any device information, why?

can you help me?

8 Replies 8

heiki saaver
Level 1
Level 1

you can get the dcnm lan client populated with information after configuring the seed devices with snmpv3/ssh.

configuration is done on the web-based DCNM interface.

i am not sure though if you must have both snmpv3 and ssh configured or either one of those will do.

hope this helps,

heiki.

thanks for reply.

i have config SSH, and add device in web-based DCNM interface, it seems ok in web-based DCNM interface.

i have not do any config about snmpv3 in nexus5k because cisco dcnm guide have not request it.

it seems DCNM LAN client cannot get any information from DCNM Server, cannot fetch any information from DCNM Server.

how can i troubleshooting such problem?

thanks

probably SSH is not enough. try configuring snmpv3. it should work then.

i am actually having the same exact problem. if i get snmpv3 configured i will let you know if it helped.

thanks and wait

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

i can confirm that i got it working by enabling snmpv3 and ssh. the snmpv3 user must have a role of network-administrator. That role you must define locally on the switch, not on a tacacs/radius server. Now the DCNM LAN client is populated with all the data possible.

-edit-

almost forgot. you also must enable "deep discovery" on seed devices in the web dcnm environment after the seed devices have been configured to use snmpv3.

can you put your snmpv3 config here, so I can confirm if I do right snmp config.
thanks

my snmp config is :

snmp-server user admin network-admin auth md5 0xc8b4b726e3bea5362f172f244fa45313 priv 0xc8b4b726e3bea5362f172f244fa45313 localizedkey

snmp-server host 10.88.32.200 traps version 2c public  udp-port 1163

you can first debug on your server to see if your snmpv3 is working. i installed this snmp toolkit on a red hat linux server that is also running the DCNM services: http://www.net-snmp.org/download.html

then i used snmpwalk to test if snmpv3 is working properly:

snmpwalk -v 3 -a md5 -l authNoPriv -u snmpuser -A Snmp255! 192.168.100.32    // the IP is of the switch to manage.

when verified that snmpv3 is working then try it in DCNM.

notice that snmpv3 requires a complex password with: lower case letters, upper case letters, numbers and a special character.

The user "snmpuser" must be able to login to the switch via SSH to privilege-exec mode.

but the commands to set up snmpv3 on the switch are following:

snmp-server host 10.113.113.99 traps version 3 auth snmpuser          // the IP is of the DCNM server

username snmpuser password Snmp255! role network-admin               // here you locally define the snmpv3 user as network admin, because the same user is also used for SSH access.

In your case I see you haven't enabled snmpv3, but 2c instead.

1/

here we use nexus 5k, nx-os, so may be command is little different.

2/

nx-os snmpv3 config may be modified asļ¼š

snmp-server user admin network-admin auth md5 xxxx priv zzzzz

snmp-server host 10.88.32.200 traps version 3  public  udp-port 1163

( it seems only traps version need be modified from 2c to 3)

3/

by the way, it seems original snmp config is added by dcnm during install dcnm software.

4/

verify snmpv3 work is a good method,we will try it first.

thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: