Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DCNM

Hi!

I need some help. I am going to install a Data Center Network Manageent in order to manage Nexus 7000. I am not fully sure if the DCNM can be instaled into a VMWare virtualized server. If so, what are the systems requirements in terms of VMware - vSphere releases needed and so on.

regards

Miguel

2 Replies 2

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

DCNM 6.1 was just released last week. The Release Notes state the following:

If you install Cisco DCNM-SAN in a virtual machine, we recommend that you reserve resources equal to the server resource requirements to ensure a baseline with physical machines.

The 5.x Release Notes have a similar statement. Neither release directly addresses VMware requirements. I did find an obscure note in the installation guide saying that the 6.x product was tested with ESX 4.5 and ESXi 4.5 and 5.0. The Cisco Prime Infrastructure products (LMS and NCS) generally are certified for ESX and ESXi 4, 4.1 and 5.

Cisco had been talking about releasing 6.1 with an OVA distribution option specifically for virtual environments but they haven't done so as of the currently posted 6.1 code.

Note that licensing has changed as of 6.1. Lots more features with some additional costs. Details here.

harsh.bansal
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Miguel,

We have recently installed the DCNM 5.2 in our Data Centers. Below is the link which has all the necessary information regarding the VMware based DCNM installation.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/4_0/dcnm/fundamentals/configuration/guide/dcnm_install_server.html

Regards

Harsh