cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DCR Issues LMS 4.0

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I have been having some problems running discovery and executing device management functions. The common problem is that I am getting:

Error
Error in communicating with DCR Server.
DCR Server may be down. Please start the DCR Server and then refresh the page.

I checked processes via both the GUI and pdshow and DCR server is running normally. I tried stopping and restarting it with no help. I also stopped and restarted the entire application (net stop crmdmgtd, net start crmdmgtd) - still no help.

Server is LMS 4.0.1 running on Windows Server 2008 R2. All had been operating normally until recently.

Please find attached a zipped copy of pdshow output, dcrserver.log, stderr.log and stdout.log.

Note - as to what may have changed, I notice that Windows Update applied several updates last week:

KB982018

KB2522422

KB2515325

KB2506928

KB2492386

Researching them did not reveal any fixes that would obviously affect LMS.

8 Replies 8

Michel Hegeraat
Level 7
Level 7

For what is is worth.

I've seen this a couple of times so far.

A restart of the daemon manager and sometimes a restart of the server fixed the issue.

Because of time constraints I've never went beyond cheching basic stuff like, if all required processes and servcies are running and if nothing is hogging the cpu or taking all memory.

I've noticed the "Summary Collection" shows 0 devices for inventory and config while topology still says it has devices.

It will probably require that a DE gets involved on a webex to a box having this issue to get it fixed permanently.

Problem is still there in 4.01

Cheers,

Michel

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Michel,

Thanks for the suggestion but the problem persists even after complete server OS reboot. I am running LMS 4.0.1.

I'll give the board a couple days and then open a TAC case if it doesn't get resolved here.

Just a guess here but your issue could somehow be certificate related.

I have run into this in my LMS 3.x environment and came across a post that suggested using the fully qualified name in the URL.  This worked for me, allowing me to continue working without the restart of anything.  I believe the issue was somehow certificate related.  This is one of the posts referencing certificates: https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/694389#694389  

The first KB you list mentions a reolved issue with ESENT which is used by CA, so it's a possiblility.  Again, just a guess.

I look forward to seeing the final resolution to your problem.   I haven't yet made the transition to 4.0 & I was hoping not to see the same problems from 3.x.  I hope most of the others have been resolved.

Thanks for the suggestions, Chris but I don't think that's it.

Just to check I uninstalled all of the most recent batch of Windows updates and restarted the server once more.I get the same results with respect to DCR server.

I already use the FQDN in the URL.

I am using a 3rd party (Thawte) SSL certificate which has been working just fine for months.

I get the same results whether launching the browser from the server or from a remote client. I am using supported browser version in both cases.

The application had been working fine until recently.

can you post the ani.log

I've attached a zipped copy of ani.log and ani.log_backup.

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

See https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3355035#3355035 .  The bug no longer affects LMS 4.0, but the DHCP issue is always a factor for LMS.

Thanks, Joe.

It wasn't the DHCP issue per se but that suggestion led me onto the path to correct the problem.

I stopped and set DHCP client service to disabled. Restarted server, no joy. I then went in to doublecheck adapter status looking for link local address setting as suggested in the thread Joe linked. No help there either. I did however notice that I have a dual NIC server and only have an IPv4 address bound to one. Windows network center showed the second one as "identifying" even though not DHCP service was started. So I simply disabled the second NIC.

I then went back into discovery and - voila! - DCR server is now reachable. Not very intuitive, to say the least. But it's working now.

Hope this helps someone else.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: