Views
Helpful
Replies

Deleting devices from DCR

dmistry21
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I was wondering whether this would cause any issues.

We have alot of devices within the DCR which are no longer on the network (Causing issues with our inventory).  The plan I was considering was deleting all devices from the DCR and carrying out a re-import from ACS.  I would keep all the standard credentials in place.

Would this have any impact i.e with synch archives (Conflicting devices), Config repository's etc

Many Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If the shadow directory option is enabled then you find the latest version under :

\CSCOpx\files\rme\dcma\shadow\

Cheers,

Michel

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Michel Hegeraat
Level 7
Level 7

You will loose config history. IPM history, DFM fault history, HUM history

If you have non dynamic groups you need to redo them

If you configured any campus topology maps to look sensible you will need to redo those too 

If you configured DFM and added or removed ports interfaces of IP then you will need to do that again.

Thats about It I think,

Why don't you just remove the devices that are no longer there?

Cheers,

Michel

Thomas Masters
Level 1
Level 1

If you delete devices out of DCR then they will be removed from the rest of the application including the removal of all data.   I recommend you identify the devices and use dcrcli to remove the devices from DCR

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_common_services_software/3.0/user/guide/dcr.html#wpmkr1108688

This.

Another thing to keep in mind is, to remove DCR devices listed as "Not configured in ACS", you would need to temporarily stop the integration with ACS, remove those devices from your DCR, then re-enable the ACS  integration.

Thanks for all the feedback.

We only use the Common Services and RME modules of the application.  In terms of grouping we have User defined groups set within Common services so I guess this may be lost ?

Does anyone know where the config history is stored on the server on Windows (i.e as a .txt file)

Many Thanks

If the shadow directory option is enabled then you find the latest version under :

\CSCOpx\files\rme\dcma\shadow\

Cheers,

Michel

That's great, thanks for the info.

Have found the .cfg files within there.  Just one more question, is this the location where all congigs are stored as this folder location hasn't been updated for a few months ?

Thanks

The configs are stored elsewhere in database format, not human viewable.  The shadow directory is supposed to be the config format from the device such that they can be deployed immediately.  It is also supposed to be the latest backed up configuration from the device , mirroring that which is in the DB.

Hi Thomas

The last .cfg file I can see in here was from about 3 months ago, does this mean that configs are not being fetched correctly or is there another location I should be checking ?

Thanks

Check whether the shadow directory is enable RME -> Admin -> Config Mgmt -> Archive Settings

Check your Config status RME -> Config Mgmt -> Archive Mgmt

Also pick a device and look at its Version Tree.

It should update to shadow directory if enabled and config has been updated.

Tom

Looks like the Shadow Directory is enabled.

It looks like I currently don't have the permissions (via ACS) to view the version tree but I will see if I can get this enabled and take a look to see whether the config matches what's in the shadow directory.

Thanks

The shadow directory configs are only updated when LMS detects a real change in the config. It wont change the config file date every time it downloads the config from the device.

Best check with on device where you change an interface description. Then later see if the file in the shadow dir has changed. 

There are 3 mechanisms to detect config changes. First is SYSLOG where LMS reacts on a messages from the device.

Then there is a poling schedule that looks for config changes via SNMP and there is schedule to download and compare.

Depending on what is configured it can take longer before the change is detected.

Cheers,

Michel

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: