cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Deleting stuck SNMP v3 user

mark.doyle
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 4510 chassis with SNMP v3 and when I do sh snmp user I see two identical users with different engine IDs, one right, one wrong.

The switch was originally built with a copied config, and when we rebuilt snmp with a different engine we noticed that a user with the old engine ID still shows up in sh snmp user. This is causing us some grief with a network monitoring application that is seeing the same engine ID on two switches now.

Any ideas on how to get rid of the snmp user of the now-defunct engine?

We've tried rebuilding snmp again from scratch (no snmp-server, etc) already. No luck.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

4 Replies 4

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You will need to reload to completely clear out the deleted SNMP configuration.

Thanks, that cleared it.

Kovax
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

After pulling out half of my hair, one of our team member found the solution:

When you do any configuration to an snmp-user, the device will only configure the user with the actual snmp engineID.

For example:

1. You have the default engineID
2. You create a new SNMP user -> user will be bound to that engineID, what was set during the creation
3. You change the engineID
4. You create a new SNMP user with the same nem -> the user will be bound to the new engineID and you will see the same user 2 times
5. You try to delete the old user, but no luck, it looks like it's stuck -> you start to pull out your hair

So to delete the user with the old engineID, you need to switch back the original engineID with:
snmp-server engineid local <original> 
no snmp-server user USER GROUP VERSION

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: