Views
Helpful
Replies

Device failed to respond to ping request

loknadh4u
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I'm facing the following problem, I want to drop a line here.

I've got a Cisco VG224  running  12.4(13r)T7 .,

I get the below errors from the log buffer.

Please provide some information.

Sep 17 06:21:39.316: %SEC_LOGIN-5-LOGIN_SUCCESS: Login Success [user: solarwindsmhc] [Source: 172.16.51.251] [localport: 23] at 02:21:39 EST Thu Sep 17 2015
Sep 17 06:21:39.532: %PARSER-5-CFGLOG_LOGGEDCMD: User:solarwindsmhc  logged command:!exec: enable
Sep 18 06:19:57.472: %SEC_LOGIN-5-LOGIN_SUCCESS: Login Success [user: solarwindsmhc] [Source: 172.16.51.251] [localport: 23] at 02:19:57 EST Fri Sep 18 2015
Sep 18 06:19:57.576: %PARSER-5-CFGLOG_LOGGEDCMD: User:solarwindsmhc  logged command:!exec: enable

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi

These are not alerts but log messages.

Your device probably is configured to log such messages after successful login attempts.

See "show login" for information and look for "login on-success log" and "login on-failure log" commands in the running-config.

To fix the ping issue you need to troubleshoot the connectivity between your NMS station and the device.

You can start by pinging the NMS station IP to see if the router can reach it.

You can look for ACL on the interfaces of the router to make sure the NMS station IP is allowed.

If you still can't ping the IP than you need to check routing and forwarding hop by hop between the router and the NMS station.

Good luck.

JFD

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Hi,

A user or a script or program on a server connected to your device using the username "solarwindsmhc" and issued the command "enable".

This looks like a Telnet connection (port 23) from IP address 172.16.51.251.

I'm thinking you have SolarWinds (www.solarwinds.com) installed on your network and its trying to connect to your device.

These messages are unrelated to your failed ping.

Cheers,

JF

I do received an another alert from my CISCO2911/K9 ( 172.16.49.19)

Is this really a part of solarwinds monitoring tool,I am also having an another monitoring tool pinging to this device this triggered me alert stating Connectivity Issue and saying failed to respond to ping request

Oct 16 02:22:51.748 EDT: %SEC_LOGIN-5-LOGIN_SUCCESS: Login Success [user: solarwindsmhc] [Source: 172.16.51.251] [localport: 23] at 02:22:51 EDT Fri Oct 16 2015
Oct 16 02:22:51.848 EDT: %PARSER-5-CFGLOG_LOGGEDCMD: User:solarwindsmhc  logged command:!exec: enable

what will be the solution to stop this alerts.

Hi

These are not alerts but log messages.

Your device probably is configured to log such messages after successful login attempts.

See "show login" for information and look for "login on-success log" and "login on-failure log" commands in the running-config.

To fix the ping issue you need to troubleshoot the connectivity between your NMS station and the device.

You can start by pinging the NMS station IP to see if the router can reach it.

You can look for ACL on the interfaces of the router to make sure the NMS station IP is allowed.

If you still can't ping the IP than you need to check routing and forwarding hop by hop between the router and the NMS station.

Good luck.

JFD

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: