cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Device rediscovered through another interface

A.Shchukin
Level 1
Level 1

I have device already defined in CiscoWorks through Loopback interface. The problem is the same device keep coming up in the device discovery through PortChannel interface, which is a different IP address, so it looks like a new device. Is there a way to make discovery aware that this device is already in DCR?

21 Replies 21

That's fine. My point is that this "duplicate" is not something to be concerned with. If you open your network such that Campus can poll it with SNMP, it will automatically determine that this device is a duplicate of the other managed device, and it should no longer appear in your Discovery report. Alternatively, you can just add this IP address to the Discovery exclude filter, and Discovery won't try to contact it at all.

I suspect there are a lot of devices with a similar issue. So I would need to login into each discovered devices in order to find out which device it is.

In order to weed out which devices were unique, and should be reachable from those that are being found by an unreachable CDP address, yes.

Correct

janvandek
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

May I use this converation to ask a related question?

Which algorithm is used during the discovery? What I mean, if it sees a new device which IP address will be taken as the management (in DCR) address? (loopback, highest IP, lowest IP, ...)

Please start a new thread for your question.

I had a ticket open with TAC on this issue.

If loopback option is enabled in a discovery option then it should be loopback.

Sometimes it finds a "new device" and it's an IP addresses of a VLAN interface.

Their recommendation was a command:

cdp source-interface looback X.

The problem is this command supported in a few IOS's... You would need to keep new devices, which are being discovered on that release and have that command in

How would it be a new device?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: