Views
Helpful
Replies

Differences discovered for the same device in LMS 4.1

lauraherr
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have installed Cisco Prime 4.1 and we have discovered all the devices of our network. Although all devices appear as known both in Monitor and in Inventory, some of them are not being monitored correctly.

For example, in the Known_Device_List Report, I have a device named 'Switch1' with IP 'x.x.x.' but in the monitoring, it shown by the name 'Switch2' with the same IP 'x.x.x.x'.

It seems that the DFM database doesn't get correctly this device from DCR, but in the LMS 4.1 version there is no option to delete this device from the DFM. I already tried to rediscovery devices throught CLI by the dmctl -s DFM invoke ICF_TopologyManager::ICF-TopologyManager discoverAll command, but with no success.

What is this behaviour due? Any idea about how to fix it?

Thanks in advanced.

Best regards,

Laura

3 Replies 3

Michel Hegeraat
Level 7
Level 7

Best way is to make sure name resolution is working so LMS can lookup the device's system-name and use the ip address it resolves to, as the management IP

Often there are inconsistencies, if an IP resolves to a name, and then the name resolve to another IP

Use resolver.pl in CSCOpx\bin to see how LMS resolves the devicename/ IP

If this is different from what you expect then you have an issue on your DNS.

Sometimes a local hosts file is easier to manage

Cheers,

Michel

Hi,

The resolution Name-IP is correct, since in Inventory you can see this correlation; but when the LMS shows an alarm or event in the Monitor part, the LMS shows another name (in fact, the previous name that had the device). This just happens for a some devices, nevertheless I will check the resolver.pl you suggested.

Thanks!!

Laura

If a DNS name changes Fault management keeps the old name. It will not do  a new lookup and does not use the display name from the DCR.

Removing and re-adding the device from LMS or disable - re-enable fault management is now the only way to make LMS rediscover.

Cheers,

Michel