cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Different default routes for Vlans

intelligroup
Level 1
Level 1

We have a couple of Vlans on this 4507 switch.

The default route(internet traffic) is pointed towards a cisco 1841 for all Vlan's, which is the internet router.

We have an ASA connected to 4507 switch, now we want a particular VLAN's Internet traffic to go through the ASA and the reset to go through the 1841.

How to go about this can you please suggest.

3 Replies 3

johnbroadway
Level 1
Level 1

I would investigate implementing some sort of policy based routing based upon source IP addresses.

Not sure of your exact hardware but thats a good place to start!

Hope that helps

John

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The obvious solution for your requirement to send traffic from a particular VLAN to the ASA while the rest of the traffic goes through the 1841 is to use Policy Based Routing. PBR allows you to specify different routing for particular traffic which you identify in a route map. Unfortunately when I look in the command reference for the 4500 switches I do not find either ip policy or route-map as supported commands. So it does not look like you can do this on the 4507. Perhaps it is possible to configure PBR on the 1841 and to redirect the traffic to the ASA from the 1841.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I suspect that it's related to certain Sup's and code versions as PBR is included in the 4500 IOS config guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.2/31sga/configuration/guide/OL_10823.pdf

Failing that, I'd agree the external router should be able to do something.

John

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: