Views
Helpful
Replies

Disable DHCP Logging

WGL_BK
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all.

A router at a remote site running as a DHCP server constantly includes so DHCPCD logs and it's flooding my buffer. is there any way to disable these?

Screenshot from 2020-10-12 15-27-23.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I have not seen this before and so am not sure what to suggest. As a starting point is it possible that some debug process is running and reporting this activity? (show debug output?) As a next step would you copy run start, and then reboot the router, and see if the behavior continues? If it does continue the behavior would you tell us what model of router this is and what version of software it is running? And a fresh copy of show running might be helpful. 

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

pmckenzie
Level 3
Level 3

if you can access the dhcp server you could get the output written to a log file instead

dhcpcd --logfile  dhcplogs  // dhcplogs is name of log file

or

dhcpcd --quiet   // only displays warnings and errors.

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold" Dr Who

Hi, thanks for your reply. The DHCP server was the router itself but as Richard suggested, a debug for DHCP had been left running. I've run undebug all and I'll monitor it going forward.

Thanks for the update. Glad that my suggestion pointed you to the issue and that it is now resolved. Thank you for marking this question as solved. This will help other participants in the community to identify discussions which have helpful information. This community is an excellent place to ask questions and to learn about networking. I hope to see you continue to be active in the community.

HTH

Rick

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I have not seen this before and so am not sure what to suggest. As a starting point is it possible that some debug process is running and reporting this activity? (show debug output?) As a next step would you copy run start, and then reboot the router, and see if the behavior continues? If it does continue the behavior would you tell us what model of router this is and what version of software it is running? And a fresh copy of show running might be helpful. 

HTH

Rick

You hit the nail on the head with that debug check, Richard. It didn't occur to me to check that at all. Now to go find out who left it running. Thank you very much.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco