cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Do I have to configure new VLANs on the core switch?

JWHolm81891
Level 1
Level 1

I am about to configure new voice VLANs for our new phone rollout. Before I configure them, I wanted to make sure WHERE I need to configure them. Do I have to configure new VLANs on the core switch or does it matter?

2 Replies 2

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Insufficient information to say whether it matters or not.

For example, if your core is L2, than likely you'll need your new voice VLAN there too.  If your core is L3, possibly you won't need your new voice VLAN there too.

I agree with Joseph that we do not understand your environment well enough to give good advice. If your  access/distribution switches connect the user vlans to the core using trunks, then you will need to configure the vlans on both the access/distribution and on the core. If the access/distribution switches connect the user vlans to the core using access ports (per vlan) then you will need to configure the vlans on both the access/distribution and on the core. If the access/distribution switches connect the user vlans to the core using routed links then you need to configure the vlans only on the access/distribution switches.

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: