cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Does Prime, any variant, do bandwidth monitoring?

nellson
Level 1
Level 1

I have been looking at Prime Infrastructure, trying to eliminate a mix of Entuity's Eye of the Storm and BMC's Network Automation. The LMS bit of CPI seems to cover what BMC does, with out any gaps. But my manager was interested in the reports on bandwidth utilization of key links. Entuity's Eye (Or NetScout, SolarWinds NPM, and such) would let you pick an interface or two and show the IN/OUT stats. From what I can tell, CPI is primarily aimed at TOP-N based statistics in a more general sense. Does anyone use a variant of Prime to watch traffic stats, and if so, what modules sould I be looking at?

Nick

17 Replies 17

Hello Gary, you mentioned that prime does collect bandwidth usage data. How does one activate that function or is it in one of the dashlets under Dashboard/Network menu? I've searched for it before but each time I'm directed to install and configure NetFlow before I can see anything.

ej

Ugh... I know - it's a pain and the GUI is not intuitive at all. I can't tell you how much time I have spent looking around trying to configure even the most basic stuff.
I think it's part of the default monitoring policy IF your interface type matches what it thinks you want to monitor: WAN, trunk,etc. Unfortunately their default logic is flawed - completely flawed.
So, you have to make the system classify your ethernet WAN interfaces (for instance) as a WAN interface, or more likely, setup a custom monitoring profile. I have to demonstrate something similar soon, so I'll refresh myself and post more details. For now, take a peek at the monitoring policies.
G

Hi guys,

Has anyone been able to configure PI to show some useful NetFlow data?! I have tried everything I can think of (I'm currently very frustrated with PI) and it seems that a lot of graphs that PI has actually show wrong data information (wrong volumes/traffic rates) in relation to the actual network traffic?!