cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Does Router system time change can affect the BGP or any other services in cisco router and switches?

Hi All,

i have some cisco router and switches where the NTP was not properly configured earlier and i see around 30 minutes to 1 hours difference between all routers and switches. i would like to change the system time to sync with one of the core switch.

i have doubt here, if i change the time, does it affect any services or functionality of the switch / router ? the routers and switches i have running major services like BGP, OSPF.... 

Could you help to provide your view to know any impact if i change the time on router / switches?

thanks.

2 Replies 2

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

NTP changing not effect anything, But if any Service rely this Kit as NTP Server, dependencies will also change the time.

you may see some overlap records, due to time change.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

I think we need to be careful in answering this question. It is possible that there are some things that are sensitive about time (things like time based access lists or perhaps an EEM script that checks for time, or perhaps some system management functions/SNMP activity) and changing the time on devices might have an impact there. But since the original post seems to focus on things like routing protocols, I believe that the suggestion from BB is probably appropriate that there would not be impact from changing the time specification.

HTH

Rick 

HTH

Rick