Views
Helpful
Replies

Double sided VPC

sridhar ch
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a task to create double sided vPC between 5672UP (top) and 5548UP (bottom) vPC domains. The only requirement i am aware of is having a unique VPC domain id. The top will have the VLAN GW (HSRP) and the bottom will have servers connected. 

1. can we have the same PO#  on both the vPC domains (upper and bottom )? or it need to be different ? Top 10 bottom 20 something like that.

2. can we have the same vPC # (Eg 50 as shown below) connecting all the interfaces on all the 4 individual switches (upper and bottom vPC domains)? or it can be different also i.e top 10 bottom 20.

Does both hold good from a configuration point of view (port channel and VPC numbers)?

DVPC-cisco.jpg

Thanks,

Sridhar

10 Replies 10

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

This enhanced vPC looking good to configure and supported. both the image looks same ( i do not see any difference here, or am i missing something ?)

for referenece :

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/sw/mkt_ops_guides/513_n1_1/n5k_enhanced_vpc.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

the only difference is 5672 has PO 10 and 5548 has PO 20 in the first diagram and all are in PO 10 in the second.

for consistance, if you have freel PO 10 both the side - i will take as same, so it easy to look and maintain same vPC 10 - and PO 10.

BB

the ether channel is local for SW 
so you can use same
except the domain must be different for each vPC

yes, the primary 5548 will connect to both 5672 primary and secondary. same is the case with secondary 5548 also. Hope this is what you are referring to. let me know otherwise.

double nexus 1.pngnexus 2.png

First topology is wrong 
because 
the primary and root is not in same SW,
second one is right where primary and root is in same SW.

PFB my design wrt to connections between switches and advise.

DVPC1.jpg

for my view It OK no issue with design. 

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

high level reasonable approach for me,

BB