Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP traps are not generating on the router

Hi All,

I am configuring SNMP to monitor the status of EIGRP,But if the EIGRP neighborship is down the SNMP trap is not generated on the rotuer.

I have tried to sniff the port as well and i am sure the traps are generated on the router.

Can anyone help me to achieve ??

Please find my config

snmp-server community public RO
snmp-server trap-source Vlan3
snmp-server enable traps snmp authentication linkdown linkup warmstart
snmp-server enable traps eigrp
snmp-server host 10.10.10.1 public  eigrp snmp

Thanks

Samy

2 Replies 2

yjdabear
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Looks like there're very fews EIGRP traps possible :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3t/12_3t14/feature/guide/gteigmib.html#wp1067306

EIGRP Notifications

The EIGRP MIB provides limited notification (TRAP) support for  stuck-in-active (SIA) and neighbor authentication failure events. The snmp-server enable traps eigrp command is used  to enable EIGRP notifications on a Cisco router. Support for TRAP events  is not activated until a trap destination is configured with the snmp-server host command and a  community string is defined with the snmp-server  community command. EIGRP notifications are described in Table 6.

Table 6     EIGRP Notifications

EIGRP Traps (Notifications)
Description

cEigrpAuthFailureEvent

When EIGRP MD5 authentication is enabled on any interface and neighbor  adjacencies are formed, a notification is sent if any adjacency goes  down as a result of an authentication failure. This notification will be  sent once per down event. This notification includes the source IP  address of the neighbor from which the authentication failure occurred.

cEigrpRouteStuckInActive

During the query phase for a new route to a destination network, the  route is placed in the active state (an alternate path is actively being  sought) and a query packet is broadcast to the network. If no replies  are received to the query, an SIA query packets are broadcast. If a  reply is not received for the SIA queries, the neighbor adjacency is  dropped, the route is declared SIA, and this notification is sent.

However, your router would have generated the pertinent syslog  messages:

%DUAL-5-NBRCHANGE: IP-EIGRP : Neighbor X.X.X.X  () is down: K-value mismatch error message

I'd simply monitor such events with a syslog analysis tool. But if you must receive such notification as an SNMP trap on 10.10.10.1, you could either

1) configure:

add

snmp-server  enable traps syslog

change

snmp-server  host 10.10.10.1 public  eigrp snmp

to

snmp-server  host 10.10.10.1 public eigrp snmp syslog

or 2)  configure an EEM applet to generate an SNMP trap catching the "DUAL-5-NBRCHANGE: Neighbor  X.X.X.X () is down" syslog pattern.

Ryan Coverdale
Level 1
Level 1

I just used this thread to set up my syslog messages reporting EIGRP neighbor state changes to my network monitoring server. THANKS for the help. If I could I would mark this one as 'Answered - Excellently'. thanks for your help, the EIGRP MIB, doesn't do much for me. Now my 4 WAN connected sites are being monitored properly.

thanks again,

ryan