Views
Helpful
Replies

Enabling Logging to SysLog

Islam Nadim
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I've downloaded 3CDaemon and actually, I adore it .. Now, I need to enable the SysLog and let all devices on the network dump the logs on it.

I have 2 Routers, 2 Switches, 2 APs and 20 IP Phones. Which of these devices can communicate with the SysLog Server? And how to achieve that?

Thanks!

3 Replies 3

Prasan Venky
Level 3
Level 3

Basically syslog configuration is very easy with logging host x.x.x.x. But more options that you need to be aware of.

1)Router# configure terminal--Enters global configuration mode.

2)Router(config)# service timestamps type datetime [msec] [localtime] [show-timezone]--Instructs the system to timestamp syslog messages;

3)Router(config)#logging host--Tells the syslog server by IP address or host name; multiple servers also can be specified.

4)Router(config)# logging trap level--severity level. The possible values for level are as follows:Use the debug level with caution, because it can generate a large amount of syslog traffic in a busy network

Emergency-0

Alert-1

Critical-2

Error- 3

Warning- 4

Notice- 5

Informational- 6

Debug- 7

Router# show logging--Showslogging configuration.

Thanks for the reply. I will apply the config on one of my devices and monitor the syslog and will comeback to you.

For the debugging level, is it better to have it 4 or 5?

Router#conf t

Router(config)#service timestamp type datetime msec

Router(config)#logging host 10.10.10.10

Router(config)#logginh trap level-security 4

Is the above correct?

Check this link out for more details.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/netmgmt/command/reference/nm_09.html#wp1015177

--Pls rate if this was helpful--

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: