cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Energywise PoE level for 15.4 watts?

pdub206
Level 1
Level 1

I am interested in setting up energywise on our new 3650 switch stacks (what I understand is Cisco's version of 802.3az).  On an existing switch, I see the following from show power inline:

Gi1/0/27 auto on 7.0 Ieee PD 2 30.0
Gi1/0/28 auto on 7.0 Ieee PD 2 30.0
Gi1/0/29 auto off 0.0 n/a n/a 30.0
Gi1/0/30 auto on 15.4 Ieee PD 4 30.0

We have an AP on port 30 drawing 15.4 watts, and a ShoreTel phone on ports 27/28.  I expect no new devices to draw more than 15.4 watts, but we are delivering 30 watts max to the ports.

When looking over energywise documentation, there appears to be different levels we can associate to ports.  I'd like to reduce the max watts to the ports in order to save power, so I'm wondering if there is a matrix showing which energywise level corresponds to which max watts delivered to a PoE port.

Ultimately the goal here is to reduce energy consumption globally on all of our new switch stacks.  Is it possible to simply turn on energywise level 10 everywhere, and let the energywise process handle the power usage? Or should I lower the level?

Throwing packets since 2012
2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Ultimately the goal here is to reduce energy consumption globally on all of our new switch stacks.  Is it possible to simply turn on energywise level 10 everywhere, and let the energywise process handle the power usage? Or should I lower the level?

EnergyWise is applicable and/or beneficial if the powered-end-device (PED) support graduated power input, like EnergyWise.  A good example are Cisco phones, like the 79XX and the 88XX/99XX.  

Cisco 79XX phones do NOT support EnergyWise so their settings can only be on or off.  However, the newer ones, particularly the 88XXs, support EnergyWise.  This means that the phones can go into "standby" mode (using Time-Based ACL):  The phones power down and when someone picks up the handle the phone talks to the switch and draws additional power.  

Finally, how much power can be saved with EnergyWise?  Not a lot.  

Cisco EnergyWise Business Value Calculator

Looking over the calculator with general purpose numbers, it looks like my company could save over $41,000 a year in energy costs.  Even if it was only $30,000 that would be amazing.  I wouldn't say that's "Not a lot."  Maybe to a Microsoft or a Google, but to the average tech company this cost savings could be huge.

Throwing packets since 2012