cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Equipment for site-to-site VPN for telemetry reasons

iraklisgeo
Level 1
Level 1

We would like to set up a site-to-site VPN between my company's headquarters and approx. 150 remote sites. The remote sites can be connected to the internet through a mobile operator's (GPRS/3G/4G) network. The main purpose for developing this VPN is to remotely monitor the equipment on the remote sites (i.e. telemetry) using SNMP protocol and NMS like Nagios Core, so there is no need for managing multiple high-throughput simultaneous connections. The equipment at the remote sites comprises 4 to 6 IP units per site.

My question regards to what kind of equipment should we use in the headquarters (main site) and the remote sites:

Is it required to use a VPN concentrator (e.g. Cisco 3000, or ASA5505) in the main site or shall we use a simple (and more affordable) like Cisco RV215W VPN Router ?
At the remote sites, we were thinking of using ISR routers with embedded 3G Wireless WAN (like 881G or  812 router) Please take into account that most of the remote sites are mainly on the top of mountains (so the equipment is required to operate at low temperatures ~-10 C and high humidity environmental conditions)

One final question: Cisco 3000 concentrator seems to be EOL product and we find out that ASA5505 may act as a VPN GW/concentrator along with an appropriate licensing. In case we really need a concentrator, in order to setup the site-to-site VPN, what are the advanced security feature set we have to consider for licensing

Thank you for your time
Kind regards
Iraklis

0 Replies 0
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: