Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ERSPAN: Requesting hardware recommendation

Hello Cisco community!

I am seeking recommendations for a basic Catalyst or Nexus that will allow me to a PoC for testing ERSPAN to a packet analysis platform. I know that there are many IOS and NX-OS options but we are simply looking for the most cost effective solution that will allow us to test/support ERSPAN.

Thanks in advance,

Brit

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi

If it's just for test, you can find some 3850 used that will help.
Other devices like catalyst 6k (too big) or catalyst 4k can be found at a reasonable price in used mode.
If you searching for new devices, then catalyst 9300 will be a good choice for lab.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi

If it's just for test, you can find some 3850 used that will help.
Other devices like catalyst 6k (too big) or catalyst 4k can be found at a reasonable price in used mode.
If you searching for new devices, then catalyst 9300 will be a good choice for lab.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for.
One follow up is: Would there be any difference with Nexus (or 1000v) that I should consider, or is the platform difference irrelevant to the testing?

Thanks,
Brit

Nexus 1000v is virtual switch for esx which isn't supported anymore i believe.
However it supports erspan.
Other nexus platforms as well but didn't mentioned because you said it was for lab and most cost effective solution. Having Nexus switches to lab erspan i believe it's too much.

Thanks
Francesco
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: