Views
Helpful
Replies

Evaluation to permanent License.

jpdeboer1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have a Cisco 3945 router, where we installed a securityk9 license on. This was a evaluation license, now we ordered a license to make the license permanent. 

I loaded the license to the router, and installed it with license install command. Normally when you do this it generates a syslog message that the license will be active after a reboot.

This was not the case when i upgraded from a evaluation license to a permanent license, so it seems a reboot is not needed. But i want to make sure, so that the service doesn't stop when the evaluation period is over.

Now show version shows:

security      securityk9           Permanent      securityk9

and show license detail shows:

Index: 8 Feature: securityk9 Version: 1.0
License Type: Permanent
License State: Active, In Use
License Count: Non-Counted
License Priority: Medium
Store Index: 2
Store Name: Primary License Storage
Index: 9 Feature: securityk9 Version: 1.0
License Type: Evaluation
License State: Inactive
Evaluation total period: 8 weeks 4 days
Evaluation period left: 1 week 2 days
Period used: 7 weeks 1 day
License Count: Non-Counted
License Priority: Low
Store Index: 1
Store Name: Primary License Storage

Did this get changed in the new IOS version ?

Thanks in advance for your time and reply.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Your 1st message already states the permanent license is already in use. I don't see any issue. Hope my respond is helpful to you.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

WilliamHengSGP
Level 1
Level 1

Usually after a evaluation license expires, it will not stop any services unless that router is rebooted. In your case, it seems to be running on permanent license already. Maybe you want to check your license boot level.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, boot level also shows me that securityk9 is used.

license boot module c3900 technology-package securityk9

So i think its save to say that the permanent license is active.

Your 1st message already states the permanent license is already in use. I don't see any issue. Hope my respond is helpful to you.

It seems that this is changed then, because in earlier releases of IOS a reboot was required as far as i can remember. Thanks for the responses and your time!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: