cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Event manager applet screws up telnet

jasonww04
Level 1
Level 1

On almost every router that I have an event manager applet running, logging on has become a hassle. Typically, I'm greeted with the Username prompt 3 times in a row and/or it just says bad username and disconnects me. This makes it almost impossible for automatic config backups to work on a daily basis. Does anyone know how to fix this?

9 Replies 9

yjdabear
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

This can be overcome by limiting the number of applet threads globally or per-class, discussed in the thread below:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2011534?tstart=15

That doesn't work. I can't configure event manager scheduler applet. My only choices are event manager scheduler script or suspend.

It apparently is available only on 12.4(22)T or a later. What do you have?

The router I'm working on now has 12.4(23) on it but I still can't get the command.

However, it does seem that increasing the number of vty lines has fixed the issue. I'll let you know in a few hours if it is indeed fixed. Thanks for the link.

Increasing the number of VTY lines only helped on the routers where EEM runs once a day.

What version of IOS is this?  What is your exact applet?

IOS is 12.4(23)

Applet:

event manager applet ping_VPN
event timer watchdog time 60
action 01.0 cli command "enable"
action 02.0 cli command "ping 10.41.1.1 source 192.168.100.1"
action 03.0 syslog msg "Ping 10.41.1.1 to keep VPN up"

This sounds like CSCsg87235.  The release note says Tcl is required, but the fix applies to applets as well.  Unfortunately, the fix was not committed to 12.4 mainline.  You would need to move to 12.4(15)T6 or 12.4(22)T or higher.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco