cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Filtering "show interfaces description"

Yusef Khalil
Level 1
Level 1

I've been trying to work on finishing tshoot before the 24th. I have a live lab that I use and I'm working on using regexp's. I would like to filter the "show interfaces description" command to only show interfaces that actually have descriptions. That is, to filter all the interfaces with no descriptions. I can't seem to find any combination that works. Does anyone have a solution they figured out to accomplish this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Dan Frey
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

lab-PKI_client#show interfaces description                                                    

Interface                      Status         Protocol Description

Gi1                            up             up       WAN

Gi2                            up             up       DMZ

Gi3                            up             up       

Gi4                            up             up       

lab-PKI_client#show interfaces description | include ^[a-zA-Z0-9\/]+.+(up|down).+\1.+[A-Z]+

lab-PKI_client#

Link to guide:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/fundamentals/configuration/15_sy/fundamentals-15-sy-book/cf-cli-search.html#GUID-A26947FE-801A-4597-8FD2-57FDCDD1AADB

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Dan Frey
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

lab-PKI_client#show interfaces description                                                    

Interface                      Status         Protocol Description

Gi3                            up             up       

Gi4                            up             up       

lab-PKI_client#show interfaces description | include ^[a-zA-Z0-9\/]+.+(up|down).+\1.+[A-Z]+

lab-PKI_client#

Link to guide:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/fundamentals/configuration/15_sy/fundamentals-15-sy-book/cf-cli-search.html#GUID-A26947FE-801A-4597-8FD2-57FDCDD1AADB

Thank you sir

I know this is old thread but was just wondering if someone can assist with something similar.  I am trying to filter on interfaces containing a certain string, eg AP that are down, but no matter what expressions I try I can never get just the down AP interfaces, either shows me all down interfaces or all AP interfaces

I managed too get workaround with show interfaces status | include AP.*notconnect but would still like to be able to do it on interface dec as well

Martin L
VIP
VIP

i do not think u will need to know regexp for ccnp level exams; maybe for voice exams.
but, for sure regexp are helpful at TS but I would say tested more on ccie level

CCNP TSHOOT exam is not based on real IOS; just a simulator with limited commands; and the goal is to find config mistake or problem on a device but not to fix it.

i do not think any command with regexp can be use but i could be wrong

I understand that. I just try to take the position of, "study for the next exam." So I did a lot of watching/reading for CCIE level material for the CCNP just as I did CCNP level study for the CCNA

I missed tshoot though. Ran out of time and didn't answer the last ticket, ended up with a 835. It's too bad the tickets take like 20 seconds to load on the exam. I think with the time I spent waiting for the tickets to load, I would have had enough to finish the last one. I had isolated it to either and ACL issue or a port-security issue