cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Find IP on Used ASA 5505

Kelsey530
Level 1
Level 1

We use an ASA 5505 at work and to better familiarize myself with it I bought a used unit from ebay. We we're/are having issues with a Dual ISP failover setup and would prefer to test out some stuff in a way that wouldn't potentially jeopardize connectivity at the office. 

Only issue is no where on the listing or anything was the previous settings listed. It came with the console cable but I don't have any gear with a serial connection. I have a USB cable coming, supposedly be here tomorrow. 

Using Angry IP Scanner the only thing I've found so far is 192.168.100.1, responds to ping, but it refuses an SSH from Putty/Bitvise. 

Should I just wait until the new serial -> USB console cable arrives? Any other suggestions? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hopefully when the console cable arrives it will allow you access. But I am concerned that if you have no information about settings by previous owner you may have a problem finding a user name/password that accesses the ASA.

As far as finding an IP address used by the ASA if you have a computer with packet capture software (sniffer etc) then you could power down the ASA, connect the computer to an ASA interface, start the packet capture, power up the ASA and look for anything generated by the ASA (especially for ARP messages which could have an IP address). repeat for each ASA interface.

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Hello,

it is possible that the Web GUI is enabled. Try to access:

https://192.168.100.1

from a browser (username/password defaults are Cisco/Cisco)...

I think unfortunately the 192.168.100.1 response was a wild goose chase. I still had my main LAN connected (motherboard has two gigabit ports) and it no longer receives a response when I disconnect from that LAN. 

I let that IPscan run across 192.168.0.0/24 to 192.168.100.0/24 and it didn't get a single hit. Tried some in the 10.0.0.0/24 block. Just so many potentials I don't know if I'd ever find it unless I just let this PC run the full gamut of address lol

I managed to find an old XP era ThinkPad T30 with serial port, I intend on setting up a Live USB linux distro, but now I can't find the charger heh

ssh no try telnet

Hmm gave it a shot but no dice = /

Hopefully when the console cable arrives it will allow you access. But I am concerned that if you have no information about settings by previous owner you may have a problem finding a user name/password that accesses the ASA.

As far as finding an IP address used by the ASA if you have a computer with packet capture software (sniffer etc) then you could power down the ASA, connect the computer to an ASA interface, start the packet capture, power up the ASA and look for anything generated by the ASA (especially for ARP messages which could have an IP address). repeat for each ASA interface.

HTH

Rick

You are right but he already have one IP, 
the issue we could not know if he config SSH/Telnet in ASA or not 
so he need to wait the Console cable 

I did try this out as well, but I think the ebay seller had done reset of sorts, so all the ethernet were down and no vlan we're there, I'm pretty new to this environment but I'd reckon that'd leave it in a state where connection is impossible? 

The cable did arrive, I've been able to access the 5505 and start having a play around with it. I did unfortunately learn it doesn't have the same licensing level as the one at work, so this box itself won't do me too much good for what I had intended unfortunately (work ASA has Security Plus, house ASA is just base). Will still make a good replacement/backup if my current router has a bad day at least. 

Thanks for the update. Glad to know that you have been able to access the ASA and are now able to configure it. +5 for sharing your solution with us.

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco