cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Find out reason for Network outage for very short period of time

s10134135
Level 1
Level 1

My company encountered Internet shortage for less then 30 seconds. Although it recovers after that, it did cause all application on some user PCs to disconnect and boss was complaining. When I was just right back to my laptop to check the issue, the network has already recovered. I try to search for any tracks about this:

1. On Whatsupgold: There is no alert or log on Whatsupgold about Internet down or device down. 

2. On Core switch & Access layer switch: No logs indicate any interfaces down or flapping during that period of time. No spanning tree topology change. Our network uses static routes only. 

3. On proxy server: I suspect the issue was on proxy server. But the CPU and memory status were all healthy at that time. Even, we have two separate proxy servers used by our end users. It is not that possible that they both had problems at the same time. 

4. On firewall: status is stable and no any event log or traffic log indicates the issue. 

5. Internet line: The bandwidth monitoring tool showed that the traffic load is not high at that time, it was within normal range and no traffic spike.

6. Lastly, I can only suspect the problem falls on the Internet router and along the way to ISP network. But, even when I log a case with them, they will only do a test and tell you the Internet is working well.

This really bothers me because it happened twice in recent two weeks and boss is really not happy about it. 

If the reason really cannot be found, is there any solution that can prevent this in the future? At least can help me find out the cause of outage.

I am sincerely seeking for help here!

Thank you! 

3 Replies 3

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Solution can only be implemented once the cause if found (as you mention); make sure you enable sufficient logging on  your Internet router (too). If Interner access down, then start a traceroute from a client; see how far the packet goes.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Thanks for your response.

The difficult point is that it disconnects only for very short period of time. I am thinking finding that kind of ping tool that can ping to different IP on the path and can save result of every echo packet for certain period of time. Then it will be possible to narrow down and help to isolate the problem on later part.   

Yes or similar, a batched-like traceroute which runs in a loop and continiously appends it's output to a log; so the log can the be expected when the problem occurs.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: