Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Finding switch port with MAC address not working

Usually I find a switch port for a device by running the command
sh mac address-table | in XXXX (where the 'X's are the first for numbers in the MAC address.)
and a short list is returned, and I can find the full MAC, then I know my port number, or that the device is on a different switch.
However, I have four camera switches installed separate from my main network, except for one port to monitor the cameras from our workstations.  On the camera switches, when I try to find a port by MAC address, all the results point to the up-link port.  I can see that a switch port has a device and what VLAN it is on with the 'sh int status' command.  But that doesn't helpful much finding a particular camera.  What could be my mistake?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

On the Layer3 device it will give you arp with MAC Address, take that MAC address do show mac on the Layer 2 device give you Physical port it connected.

example :

Layer 3

show ip arp 

Layer 2

show mac add | in XXX

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jaderson Pessoa
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

try it:

SW_CORE_01#traceroute mac 10b3.d503.05c0 10b3.d503.05c0

Source 10b3.d503.05c0 found on SWITCH_ACESS_01

1 SWITCH_ACCESS)01 (192.168.10.21) : Gi1/0/41 => Gi1/0/41

Destination 10b3.d503.05c0 found on SWITCH_ACESS_01

Layer 2 trace completed

Jaderson Pessoa
*** Rate All Helpful Responses ***

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

On the Layer3 device it will give you arp with MAC Address, take that MAC address do show mac on the Layer 2 device give you Physical port it connected.

example :

Layer 3

show ip arp 

Layer 2

show mac add | in XXX

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

We do not yet have enough information to understand what might be the issue or to give good suggestions. I am reading something about a main network, and about 4 cameras installed separately, and one port to monitor, and an uplink. You mention camera switches and the plural suggests that there is more than one. So how many camera switches are there? What kind of switches are these? Are these cameras all on the same vlan? Or on several vlans? Do the cameras communicate with the main network (do they send their pictures/video to servers in the main network)? If so what is the connection that they use to communicate to the main network? Would that be the same as the monitoring port? Is that monitoring port in a regular vlan on your main network? Is it a separate vlan? Or perhaps is it a routed port (no switchport)? On the camera end of the connection for the monitoring port what kind of connection is it? Switchport in a vlan, separate vlan? Routed port?

Perhaps a diagram of this environment would be helpful.

HTH

Rick

" I have four camera switches installed "

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: