Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Forwarding DHCP Info to Bandwidth shaper

Hi there, i have a Cisco ASR-920-4SZ-A acting as a Bras on which end users connect. the router acts as a DHCP server. we are installing a bandwidth shaper into our network and this bandwidth shaper will be located within our core network while the Bras is located remotely. the bandwidth shaper will need to have access to DHCP information, particularly the DHCP binding table to know the list of IP addresses that an end user device has acquired.

What values do i need to set on the router to forward the DHCP info to the bandwidth shaper?

I need assistance with this.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Is you bandwidth shaper support radius messages as a radius server? You can send a radius accounting from your dhcp pool on your router when an IP is assigned or released for a client.

You can also configure your router to save all binding in a local text file (or remote text file), is this something that could work?

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

View solution in original post

Hi sir, if you don't mind i would like you to verify my configuration for this. here is what i've got setup. did i get the config right?

aaa new-model
aaa group server radius test-radius
server 172.31.34.33 acct-port 1813

ip dhcp pool Pool_101
vrf DATA
accounting test-radius

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Is you bandwidth shaper support radius messages as a radius server? You can send a radius accounting from your dhcp pool on your router when an IP is assigned or released for a client.

You can also configure your router to save all binding in a local text file (or remote text file), is this something that could work?

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Hi there, thank you for your reply. Are you able to point me to a link with a sample configuration for the radius accounting option?

Jethro

You need to configure aaa radius first (basic config you can look on any cisco documentation for AAA RADIUS) and then, under your local pool, the command is accounting xxxxx where xxxx corresponds to the aaa list you configured previously

Thanks
Francesco

Thank you for that. I will give that a try.

You're welcome. Keep us posted

Thanks
Francesco

Hi sir, if you don't mind i would like you to verify my configuration for this. here is what i've got setup. did i get the config right?

aaa new-model
aaa group server radius test-radius
server 172.31.34.33 acct-port 1813

ip dhcp pool Pool_101
vrf DATA
accounting test-radius

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco