cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Free up space in /var

kmong
Level 1
Level 1

We received an error about the available space in /var of our Ciscoworks server. version is LMS3.2.1 installed in solaris. Which files can we delete in /var to free up space? Please see attached screenshot.

10 Replies 10

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It depends on where the space is going specifically.  Typically, log files can grow quite large.  If you find that this is the case in your situation, then you can configure Logrot (under Common Services > Server > Admin > Logfile Rotation) to rotate the large logs, or just shutdown Daemon Manager, and delete the contents of each file (i.e. "cat /dev/null > FILENAME").

How do I know on which files to delete?

If the space is being occupied by log files, you can delete any file that ends in .X where X is a number or any file that ends in "_backup".  However, you should not delete any other files.  Instead, rotate them to remove their contents (while leaving the files themselves).

Ok we'll try this. What will happen if they already deleted files but did not shutdown the daemon manager first?

Hi Sir, we cannot seem to find the var folder or the files with _backup or .X extensions.please see attached screenshot

You're looking at /opt/CSCOpx.  You're complaining about lack of space in /var.  The log files are found in /var/adm/CSCOpx/log.  There you will find backup logs.

Sir thanks for the information. We have already deleted the said files, however /var space only lowered to 84%. What other files or logs may we delete in order to maintain the ciscoworks server? Also opt is already 83%

I have noticed that the HUM logs occupies a large space of the disk, we do not have HUM on our ciscoworks, the evaluation license already expired but I noticed that the logs update daily. I am attaching the captured screenshots of the directories for your reference.

I hope you can recommend steps or instructions on how we can manage and maintain the ciscoworks server.

Thanks

Yes, you can delete the HUM logs if you are no longer using HUM.  In order to find what directories are taking up the most space, use the du command.  For example, under /var/adm/CSCOpx, do:

du -sh *

Then continue to work your way down until you find the directories that take the most space.

And then upon seeing the directories? What are the files that we can remove for maintenance?

It depends on the directories in question.  Some may not contain files that can simply be removed.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: