Views
Helpful
Replies

General questions from a Netacad student

Norgepiraten
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Fellows,

I have a few general questions regarding various Cisco equipment - ASA, switches and routers. How do professional network engineers find appropriate hardware when they're designing a new network infrastructure from scratch? Is there any specific search engine/product finder in which it's possible to select the desired specs, features, supported protocols, no. of ports etc.? Private consumers usually use "Prisjakt" (the most popular price comparison site in the Nordic countries) to find equipment that match their criteria and fulfill their needs. What about add-in interface cards (modules)? I can barely imagine that people solely check the data sheets in order to find matching and compatible modules.

Where do I obtain firmware upgrades? Do you have any official FTP-server where all firmware are stored?

Am I eligible to download AnyConnect free of charge?

I'm encountering the following issues upon configuring an RV340:

PuTTY closes automatically on authentication via SSH. "Enable keyboard-interactive authentication" is checked, "Attempt Authentication Using Pageant" and "Attempt TLS or CryptoCard Auth" are unchecked. What could potentially cause this problem? How do I enable root access in the router in question? Is there any step-by-step guide that explains how to set up an SSL VPN connection?

My sincere thank you for your consideration, support and expertise,

Dave

2 Replies 2

pieterh
VIP
VIP

I have some of the answers for you

Where do I obtain firmware upgrades? Do you have any official FTP-server where all firmware are stored?

-> https://software.cisco.com

you need to create am account to login, and this account needs to be authorized to download software for a specific device.

(contracts ….)

- PuTTY closes automatically on authentication via SSH

putty is default set to use SSH, but possibly SSH is not (yet) configured on the RV340-> try telnet first

Apologies for the long silence! Thank you very much for your reply, pieterh! Much appreciated!