Views
Helpful
Replies

Get Prime to schedule a reboot of a switch

Andy White
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

I'm new to Prime and love it, keep find new features.  Anyway we are on version 3.1 and I've added a troublesome switch of ours that has a bug that get's fixed if I reload it.  Cisco are helping, but a bug fix may take some time.

Anyway I just can't work out how to create a template to schedule a weekly reboot of this switch and wondered if someone can help.  I found a youtube video but this was from Prime 2.0 and is very different.

I'm also using the guide http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/net_mgmt/prime/infrastructure/3-0/user/guide/pi_ug/config-temp.html

I guess I can create some sort of CLI template? Here Configuration / Templates / Features & Technologies

Thank in advance

Andy

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Kevin Homistek
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I'm able to theoretically do that in my environment; I didn't actually run the job here, but the options are available to do what you described:

1) Configuration>Templates>Features&Technologies. Scroll down the template list to CLI Templates>System Templates - CLI. In that list is a template called "Reload Configuration-IOS". Click on it and it will show you the properties where you can save as a new template, cancel, or deploy it. Click "Deploy"

2) The next screen should allow you to select your devices. Find the switch in question, select it, and click Next

3) Input options, default work flow selected, and click Next

4) Confirm your device selection, enter a reload wait time, and checkbox whether to save config before reload. Click Apply and then Next

5) Schedule Deployment options. Here is where the schedule can be chosen to run this job weekly. Configure the job name, start time, and the weekly recurrence.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Kevin Homistek
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I'm able to theoretically do that in my environment; I didn't actually run the job here, but the options are available to do what you described:

1) Configuration>Templates>Features&Technologies. Scroll down the template list to CLI Templates>System Templates - CLI. In that list is a template called "Reload Configuration-IOS". Click on it and it will show you the properties where you can save as a new template, cancel, or deploy it. Click "Deploy"

2) The next screen should allow you to select your devices. Find the switch in question, select it, and click Next

3) Input options, default work flow selected, and click Next

4) Confirm your device selection, enter a reload wait time, and checkbox whether to save config before reload. Click Apply and then Next

5) Schedule Deployment options. Here is where the schedule can be chosen to run this job weekly. Configure the job name, start time, and the weekly recurrence.

Hope this helps!

That is a stunning reply Kevin, Thanks!

I have scheduled this task now, the only issue I get is once I finish creating the job and go to:

Administration / Dashboards / Job Dashboard / Config Deploy - Deploy View and edit my job a the top under device selection I get this message:

There was an error while parsing and rendering the content. (Cannot read property 'store' of undefined)

I selected the correct switch too.  Any ideas?

Thanks

Andy, no problem!

As far as the error you're getting, I'm not sure what that's about.

I have attached a couple of screenshots from my test job - When I go to job dashboard, I am able to edit the job (clicking the pencil icon) successfully.

For reference, I'm running 3.1.5 device pack 9

Thanks,
Kevin

Thanks.  Seems it might not be remembering the device I want to reboot even though I select it.

I'm on 3.1.0.0.132

Yes, that's kinda strange. It could be a bug in the version you're running - you might consider updating to 3.1.5 - or check release notes and the bug search tool to find out if this was specifically addressed.

FYI, Updating from Prime base 3.1.0 will change your licensing mode to token-based device licensing but the update process should grandfather your devices so that you won't lose any (licenses) - I had some trouble with this until I figured out that I could load my 2.x license files into PI 3.1.0 and then update to 3.1.5.

Thanks,
Kevin

Thanks for the heads-up I will look into that.

its simple and  easy....

You need create a CLI template with following content:

!
exit
!
wr
!
#INTERACTIVE
reload in 1   <IQ>Proceed with reload<R>yes
#ENDS_INTERACTIVE
!
end
!

Schedule this template deployment based on your requirement like weekly, monthly or run now.

The above template would keep 1 minute delay in reloading the entire box and save the running-config to nvram before the reload.

if it finds good, rate my answer.... :)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: