cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

getting a version of iOS from one switch to another

jlongo001
Level 1
Level 1

i want to move an iOS version from one 3750-x to another.  so.  what i think i need to do is get the .bin file from switch A to switch B and have it boot to that version.

i have done searching, there several methods.  i would prefer not to use TFTP.

would it be possible to life the bootable image from one switch to another?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

The common method would be to use an intermediate device to move the image, eg: TFTP, FTP, SCP, USB

If you want to move the image inter-switch then your only option is to configure one switch as a TFTP server:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios/fundamentals/command/reference/cf_book/cf_t1.html#wp1019520

cheers,

Seb.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

The common method would be to use an intermediate device to move the image, eg: TFTP, FTP, SCP, USB

If you want to move the image inter-switch then your only option is to configure one switch as a TFTP server:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios/fundamentals/command/reference/cf_book/cf_t1.html#wp1019520

cheers,

Seb.

thank you Seb.

yes   i should use TFTP.

i will proceed with this.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@jlongo001 wrote:

i have done searching, there several methods.  i would prefer not to use TFTP.

would it be possible to life the bootable image from one switch to another?

I've FIXED a number of switches because people do dangerous stuff like this.  

some of "future" CCIEs practicing on live production gear? he he he he

anyway .... I think 3750s can be boot-able from TFTP server straight; it is sort of a backup boot method if booting from flash fails, Right ?

Martin L
VIP
VIP

You should send bin to TFTP server for keep sake anyway. good practice especially now u cannot get it from Cisco (or soon will not be able to get it )