cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Having Trouble Getting IPM To configure traps with IP SLA

GERARD PUOPLO
Level 1
Level 1

We have LMS 3.0.1 and IPM 4.0.1 and a shadow router we are using to run IP SLA tests that we setup via IPM. We want graphs via IPM on availability and delay from our shadow router to each of our MPLS CE WAN interfaces. We want timeout and threshold RTTMON traps sent also from our shadow router to our CIC system. Our shadow router for IP SLA is running IOS 12.4 (15) T7 with IP SLA 2.2.0. We are getting graphs ok but not RTTMON traps. I am looking to resolve why we are not getting traps but also to understand better some of our IPM settings.

1. On IPM

a. we created adhoc targets for our Carrier CE wan interfaces.

b. We created an Echo operation with the following parameters: operation Type: Echo, generate Action Event X of Y where X 3 and Y 5. Action Event Type SNMP trap. Rising threshold 300 msec and Falling 200ms. Timeout value 3000 msecs. Timeout Action: true. Sample interval 60 secs. We created corresponding collectors to use our Echo operation to monitor our adhoc targets from the shadow router.

2. When I telnet to the shadow router I confirm snmp is setup properly with ipsla traps enabled and traps defined to go to the correct SNMP port to CIC. I see IPSLA entties for my collectors but when I do show ip sla reaction-configuration all the IP SLA entries say Reaction Configuration not configured.

3. I see IP SLA responder is also not enabled on the shadow router. Does it need to be ?

4. When I setup my collectors there was a choice for “historical” versus Monitor/Realtime. Since I want graphs and traps which one is the correct choice ? I choose Historical.

5. Finally why didn't IPM setup our ip sla entries with reaction to send traps on threshold violations.

Thx

1 Reply 1

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The source router does not need the IP SLA responder to be enabled. The historical collector will allow you to run reports, and have the data stored in the IPM database. The realtime collectors are mainly used for troubleshooting.

I can't say why your reaction configuration wasn't sent to the device. It looks like it might be related to IPM using deprecated MIB objects to setup the trigger, as I can reproduce in 12.4(22)T.

It looks like the IPM developers are aware of it, and working with the IP SLA developers. You should probably open a TAC service request so your specific case can be tracked.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: